13 Thais Missing during Caving Expedition

Anything and everything about Thailand
gerefan

Re: 13 Thais Missing during Caving Expedition

Post by gerefan »

Of course I agree that if it was done discretely that would be absolutely fine. However the chances of that happening are remote. We have already seen what the scum are up to from Gaybutton's post.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

The present media interest will die down as the boys get back to school and start to lead normal lives. I have no idea when those tournaments in Europe are but the boys will probably have no free time till Spring next year. There will be bound to be a bit of media interest whenever they travel, but the Clubs themselves have PR departments who are used to working with their own junior teams. I reckon that In addition to each having a parent with them, at least one teacher will tag along to ensure they are not exploited. I have much less concern considering the Clubs involved are such major ones.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

St Lucia joins Jamaica in vacation offer to Thai boys and coach

July 21, 2018

KINGSTON, Jamaica — St Lucia has joined Jamaica in its plans to host the 12 boys from a youth football team in Thailand and their coach who were recently rescued from a flooded cave in their country.

St Lucia's Prime Minister Allen Chastanet and Jamaica's Tourism Minister Edmund Bartlett made the announcement yesterday during the Saint Lucia Hotel & Tourism Association's 54th Annual General Meeting held at the Harbour Club in Rodney Bay, Gros Islet.

Chastanet said Jamaica was taking the lead and both men hoped that the visit to the Caribbean will happen in the next few months.

The joint offer comes on the heels of Bartlett's who, on Wednesday, said that he “couldn't think of a more appropriate gesture for these brave and extraordinary young men than to have them come and enjoy our beautiful island home”.

“We will be using all our diplomatic channels through the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Foreign Trade, also the Jamaican Honorary Consulate in Bangkok, Thailand, to try and make this a reality,” he said.

“This will be an all-expense paid vacation and something that we are happy to do as part of the international community and to show appreciation for the special friendship we have had with the people of Thailand over the years,” Bartlett added.

The boys, aged 11 to 16, and their 25-year-old coach had been trapped in the Tham Luang Nang Non cave system since June 23.

The world was transfixed by the daring rescue of the boys from the flooded caves, which was undertaken by a team of international divers over three days from July 8 to 10.

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/latestne ... _and_coach
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Gaybutton wrote:St Lucia joins Jamaica in vacation offer to Thai boys and coach
Now that sounds like a blatant attempt to cash in. Does anyone think these boys and their families want a vacation in the Caribbean? Do they even have recognised soccer teams? Nonsense!
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

fountainhall wrote:Does anyone think these boys and their families want a vacation in the Caribbean?
Why not? If someone offered me an all expense paid vacation there, I'd jump at the chance and I wouldn't care whether it's an attempt to cash in or not.
fedssocr1

Post by fedssocr1 »

do people who already live in the tropics take vacations in the other tropical countries?
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

fedssocr1 wrote:do people who already live in the tropics take vacations in the other tropical countries?
I usually did. Even if I usually didn't, why would I turn down an all expense paid vacation unless it was a trip to, say, Antarctica?
gerefan

Post by gerefan »

Bet they have no idea where Jamaica or the Caribbean even are...

Anyone see the interview this afternoon on Thai TV with theThai Doctor who stayed with them for 9 days in the cave? Very well done and didn’t exploit the boys at all.

A lot of information came out, and footage I hadn’t seen before.

He spoke about the farmers who willingly allowed their crops to be destroyed so that the water could be drained down into their fields.

Had English subtitles and well worth seeing if you happen to come across it.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Gaybutton wrote:
fountainhall wrote:Does anyone think these boys and their families want a vacation in the Caribbean?
Why not? If someone offered me an all expense paid vacation there, I'd jump at the chance and I wouldn't care whether it's an attempt to cash in or not.
I would join you. But you can't seriously believe a group of Thais who speak hardly any English, know only Thai food (apart from KFC and perhaps pizza), probably are not that keen on spending time in the sun and have probably never seen a beach in their lives really would want to spend 24 hours or so cooped up in a plane just to relax with probably no other Thais about? And then another 24 hours to get home - and a second bout of jet lag to boot! I can't believe any of them would. I bet they'd prefer a few days in Phuket instead if that was offered.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

gerefan wrote:He spoke about the farmers who willingly allowed their crops to be destroyed so that the water could be drained down into their fields.
I'm sorry I missed it and hope they show it again.

Re those farmers, they refused the compensation offered by the government for the flooding of their land. It was their contribution to the rescue efforts!