13 Thais Missing during Caving Expedition

Anything and everything about Thailand
fountainhall

Re: 13 Thais Missing during Caving Expedition

Post by fountainhall »

Yes, planning an itinerary now is very premature.

But I think the Tourism Authority of Thailand will also welcome all the good PR. After all, they haven't shown themselves to be very efficient. In the lovely 30-second "Thank you" video they produced and which has been seen in many countries, they forgot to include the Singapore flag!
Captain Kirk

Post by Captain Kirk »

Just when I thought it was difficult to find folk more cynical than myself some of you are doing a good job of proving me wrong. I don't believe any of the offers being made to the team had anything to do with money. Maybe I'm having a sentimental day, but I also believe the boys would not go anywhere unless they ALL are allowed to go.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

I’m with Captain Kirk. I believe the offers were all made in good faith as a way of giving the boys in the cave something to look forward to. And I don’t believe any will go unless all can go. Equally I don’t see the Thai government seeking to gain financially in any way.

On the other hand, there will be intense interest overseas in seeing the boys, and the Clubs who will pay for their trips will want to ensure the good feeling reflects in some way on them. That’s just the way of the world. So that means some PR surrounding their visits.
Captain Kirk

Post by Captain Kirk »

Fill me in guys, I'm reading about the stateless boys - why are they stateless, aren't they all from Thailand?
fedssocr1

Post by fedssocr1 »

No, the stateless are from Myanmar or apparently were born to stateless parents in Thailand in the case of one of them if reports are correct
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Captain Kirk wrote:Fill me in guys, I'm reading about the stateless boys - why are they stateless, aren't they all from Thailand?
For decades there has traditionally been a lot of ethnic tension across the border in Myanmar between the hill tribes and the Burmese. In that part of Thailand the border is like a sieve and people can just walk across, sometimes daily. Many have just settled in Thailand. Once in Thailand children are entitled to education and some other basic services, but nothing more. Estimates of the numbers vary from a low of the 485,000 who are officially registered as stateless to as high as a staggering 3.5 million. So it's a huge problem that the Thai government should have sorted out decades ago - and didn't.

Thailand has pledged to end the stateless nature of those living within its borders by 2024.
gerefan

Post by gerefan »

fountainhall wrote:On the other hand, there will be intense interest overseas in seeing the boys, and the Clubs who will pay for their trips will want to ensure the good feeling reflects in some way on them. That’s just the way of the world. So that means some PR surrounding their visits.
And that is exactly what they don’t need.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

What a bunch of paparazzi assholes! They just can't resist exploiting these children and milking the story as much as they can - with no regard for the well being of these boys.

Personally I would love it if Thailand stops merely criticizing these reporters and instead starts arresting reporters who exploit these boys. If they want interviews so badly, let them interview their cellmates in Klong Prem.

Boar interviews come under fire Foreign media acted improperly, says govt

by: King-Oua Laohong

21 Jul 2018

Thai officials have slammed international news agencies' exclusive interviews with the boys rescued from Tham Luang cave in Chiang Rai, saying the media coverage risks violating child protection laws.

Deputy permanent secretary for justice Tawatchai Thaikyo on Friday warned that the foreign media's questions may have a negative impact on the boys' recoveries and lead them to suffer from post-traumatic stress.

He was responding to reports that some international news agencies have already conducted interviews with the boys since they returned home.

ABC News was among agencies which reportedly secured exclusive interviews with some of the members of the Wild Boars football team.

"The interviews should not have been done at all. Some questions can trigger fear in the boys, especially questions about the use of medication during their extraction from the cave. Such questions only serve to remind them of the trauma they went through and may lead to further psychological issues in the future," Mr Tawatchai said.

Mr Tawatchai faulted the international news agencies for ignoring a request by Thai authorities for their cooperation in respecting the privacy of the boys and their families.

However, he praised Thai media organisations for cooperating.

"Although the foreign agencies claim that they had permission from the boys' parents, it is not right because Thai and foreign journalists were given clear guidelines for their coverage. The parents of the boys might not be prepared to cope with what's to come," Mr Tawatchai said.

He urged the agencies to follow the same guidelines used when minors are questioned in court.

There, children's testimonies are overseen by social workers or psychiatrists, Mr Tawatchai said.

"We thought that foreign media organisations understood conventions on children's rights and procedures to protect the young but their standards have turned out to be lower than expected. It seems they lack common sense," he said.

Twelve local football players aged 11-16 and their 25-year-old coach from the Moo Paa (Wild Boars) Academy football team entered Tham Luang cave in Chiang Rai's Mae Sai district on June 23 and were trapped inside by rising floodwater.

An international rescue operation located them after 10 days and brought them out in batches over a three-day period from July 8-10.

The incident made international headlines as the cave extraction was considered to be the toughest of its kind and drew help from local and international rescuers and supporters.

Boonruang Triruangworawat, director-general of the Ministry of Public Health's Department of Mental Health, said interviews with the boys could affect their mental health in the long term.

Interviews should be put off for at least two months as the boys are still under observation, he advised.

Deputy Prime Minister Wissanu Krea-ngam also warned that the foreign media's interviews with the boys risk violating laws protecting children's rights.

The government had instructed officials from the Social Development and Human Security to look after the boys, Mr Wissanu said.

However, Anira Thinon, a social development and human security official in Chiang Rai, said that foreign reporters had not obtained permission from officials and had conducted their interviews when the officials assigned to look after the boys were absent.

"The media will be held responsible under the children protection law which regulates media coverage and the foreign media is no exception," she said.

Thepchai Yong, president of the Thai Broadcast Journalists Association, posting on Facebook, criticised foreign media intrusion on the boys' privacy.

"While you are concerned that Thai media will disturb the Wild Boars, the foreign reporters have turned up in droves at their houses," Mr Thepchai wrote

"They include ABC News, CBS and several others. They proudly declared that they had exclusive interviews with the children while the Thai media have been told to stay away," he added.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/genera ... under-fire
Captain Kirk

Post by Captain Kirk »

fountainhall wrote:
Captain Kirk wrote:Fill me in guys, I'm reading about the stateless boys - why are they stateless, aren't they all from Thailand?
For decades there has traditionally been a lot of ethnic tension across the border in Myanmar between the hill tribes and the Burmese. In that part of Thailand the border is like a sieve and people can just walk across, sometimes daily. Many have just settled in Thailand. Once in Thailand children are entitled to education and some other basic services, but nothing more. Estimates of the numbers vary from a low of the 485,000 who are officially registered as stateless to as high as a staggering 3.5 million. So it's a huge problem that the Thai government should have sorted out decades ago - and didn't.

Thailand has pledged to end the stateless nature of those living within its borders by 2024.
Cheers
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

gerefan wrote:And that is exactly what they don’t need.
I agree - but also totally disagree! For the time being, the boys should be left alone. They have to get back to being normal kids again and will have a lot of schoolwork to catch up on,

On the other hand, they are all mad keen soccer players. Several want to be professional footballers when they grow up. All have idols and there can be no greater motivation for them in the fullness of time than to meet their idols and take part in tournaments with other young players from other parts of the world. I have zero doubt it is something they would eagerly look forward to and an experience they could never otherwise get.