13 Thais Missing during Caving Expedition

Anything and everything about Thailand
fountainhall

Re: 13 Thais Missing during Caving Expedition

Post by fountainhall »

I thought my tears had dried up until I saw that video. In a way I am glad it concentrated more on the thousands of Thais who so generously and selflessly gave of their time, effort and sometimes their own money. I doubt if any professional movie will ever be able to capture the drama in that video. It is so uplifting to see how much good there is in our often nasty little world. Thank you Captain Swing. Awesome!
fedssocr1

Post by fedssocr1 »

just came across this one now too. YT recommended it to me. Very well done
fedssocr1

Post by fedssocr1 »

another ABC(US) news interview of the boys on the way
https://abcnews.go.com/International/yo ... d=57331218
Captain Swing

Post by Captain Swing »

fedssocr1 wrote:another ABC(US) news interview of the boys on the way
https://abcnews.go.com/International/yo ... d=57331218
I was finally able to watch this (I have a problem with my computer and a lot of videos don't load). It wasn't as bad as I feared; apparently the interview had to be cleared with the government, and the questions were screened. The reporter said 800 news organizations were trying to get interviews--hopefully few will succeed. It was good to see. I didn't learn much I didn't already know, but it confirmed a feeling I've had for a while now: these kids were WORTH it. They're not superstars, or superheroes, but they're nice, decent, rational, ordinary, admirable young people, and it was worth the efforts of a reported 10,000 people and God knows how many billions of baht to rescue them.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Captain Swing wrote:it confirmed a feeling I've had for a while now: these kids were WORTH it. They're not superstars, or superheroes, but they're nice, decent, rational, ordinary, admirable young people, and it was worth the efforts of a reported 10,000 people and God knows how many billions of baht to rescue them.
Thank you Captain Swing. I doubt if anyone could have put this in a better and more meaningful way.

Every time I see these boys and their coach, I am amazed. To my jaded, big city-oriented eyes, they make me realise there is so much more to family values, village life and community spirit.
Captain Swing

Post by Captain Swing »

I think this is pretty much exactly what all of us hoped would NOT happen,

Thai boys trapped in cave climb through replica

Thai cave boys visit Tham Luang rescue exhibition in Bangkok

"The group of boys who were trapped in a flooded cave in northern Chiang Rai province in Thailand in July climb through a replica tunnel at an exhibition to celebrate their dramatic rescue. The 12 members of the Wild Boars football team and their coach were trapped for more than two weeks with no food and no means of contacting the outside world. Psychologists had counseled that the boys after their rescue in July should be given a six-month respite from being pressed to recount their experience for the sake of their mental health. But Thailand's military government, eager to share the glory of the good-news story, has not taken their advice"
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

A happy photo from last night's massive party at Sanam Luang for 7,000 people involved in the rescue. Three of the boys with some of the cave rescuers.

photo The Nation/AFP

67 coaches brought local people down from Chiang Rai Province for the party.

His Majesty the King has granted the “Most Admirable Order of the Direkgunabhorn” honour to 114 foreigners and 74 Thais who were involved in the rescue.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/ ... l/30353913
Captain Swing

Post by Captain Swing »

I had seen one brief mention that this celebration was planned, but no details--thanks for the link. The celebration and the awards seem appropriate. I think it's a good sign that there was little note of it in Western media, so far at least. It means, I hope, that interest in the story has died down among foreign news organizations. I'm also glad to see that the boys' presence at the replica cave was related to this celebration--I pictured them being dragged down to Bangkok just for a photo op publicizing the exposition. Hopefully they're back home now. For a while, at least.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

'Cave boys set to fly to Argentina, US

September 25, 2018

The 12 Wild Boars and their football coach rescued in the July cave drama will travel next week to Argentina for the Youth Olympic Games and then on to the United States for talk show appearances.

The group were invited to attend the games in Buenos Aires by Thomas Bach, president of the International Olympic Committee. They will leave their Chiang Rai homes on Oct 3 for the games, being held from Oct 6 to 18, and return home on Oct 20.

All expenses during the trip to games will be taken care of by the IOC.

The IOC will also schedule a special soccer match between the Wild Boars and Olympic youth athletes, "to form bonds of friendship", Mr Bach's office said.

While in the United States, they are scheduled to appear on the NBC network's Today Show and Late Night in New York. It is not known if they have an exlusive deal with NBC.

Some related Thai officials are expected to travel with the boys including former Chiang Rai governor Narongsak Osottanakorn, a prominent spokesman during the rescue effort.

The team entered the Tham Luang Nang Non cave in Chiang Rai province on June 23 and were subsequently trapped by rising flood waters.

It took three days to carry out the full rescues of all 13 team members.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/genera ... gentina-us
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

I am glad former Chiang Rai governor Narongsak Osottanakorn will be part of the group. The strong rumour was that prior to the cave rescue he had been downgraded to the governorship of a lesser province because of criticisms of some government policies.

Those boys must be over the moon with excitement about the trip.