13 Thais Missing during Caving Expedition

Anything and everything about Thailand
windwalker

Re: 13 Thais Missing during Caving Expedition

Post by windwalker »

Captain Swing, Thanks for that posting. A great video well worth watching. I wasn't aware of the difficulties in this rescue and the doubts that the rescuers expressed about a successful outcome.
fedssocr1

Post by fedssocr1 »

a lot of this stuff shows up on YouTube. maybe search there?
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

Captain Swing wrote:
P.S. He still reminds me of Tom Swift, even if no one else knows who that is.

I grew up reading the adventures of Tom Swift! Of course I know him..
Captain Swing

Post by Captain Swing »

windwalker wrote:
Captain Swing wrote:
P.S. He still reminds me of Tom Swift, even if no one else knows who that is.

I grew up reading the adventures of Tom Swift! Of course I know him..

Finally. Thank you.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

fountainhall wrote: But you can't seriously believe
Wanna bet?

I have no way to know whether the boys would want to accept that invitation. Neither do you.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

'Cave boys' to be ordained this week

July 23, 2018

MAE SAI, Chiang Rai: Most members of the Thai youth football team rescued from a flooded cave will have their heads shaved, don robes and be ordained in a Buddhist ceremony this week, officials said Sunday.

The Wild Boars have been enjoying their first few days home after being discharged from hospital and being ordered to speak to the media at a government-mandated press conference about their harrowing ordeal inside the Tham Luang cave near Mai Sae district town.

Praphun Khomjoi, Chiang Rai's Buddhist office chief, said that the Wild Boars will have their heads shaved on Tuesday and attend a robe ceremony the next day.

They will then stay in different monasteries until leaving and again returning home on Aug 4.

One of the children, Adul Sam-on, will not join them as he is Christian, the governor said.

The 12 boys, aged 11 to 16, and their coach went into the cave complex on June 23 after practice and were trapped by floods from monsoon rains.

An international rescue effort succeeded in removing them all.

They had survived on water dripping from rocks for nine days before being found emaciated on a muddy ledge by two British rescue divers, who helped extract the team a week later in a risky mission.

All made a speedy recovery and were judged none the worse for wear after a week in hospital.

On their first day out they prayed for good fortune in a traditional Buddhist ceremony and mourned a former Thai navy underwater team diver who died during the rescue efforts.

Now they will go a step further and spend time living in a monastery before returning to normal life, a common practice among Buddhists.

"They will ordain for nine days," according to Prachon Pratsakul, the Chaing Rai governor, who held a briefing for reporters Sunday at the Mae Sai district office.

"There will be about 11 boys ordained as novices and one ordained as a monk, which is Coach Ek," he said, referring to Ekkapol Chantawong, who has already spent years in the monastery and achieved monkhood.

He is credited with keeping the boys calm inside the cave.

Authorities have told media to give the teammates time to adjust to their lives but interest in the story remains high, with production houses looking to make a Hollywood-style film on the saga.

Their story is ready-made for the screen, with a bold rescue operation that entailed sedating and moving the boys out of the cave through treacherous passageways.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/genera ... -this-week
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Gaybutton wrote:
fountainhall wrote: But you can't seriously believe
Wanna bet?

I have no way to know whether the boys would want to accept that invitation. Neither do you.
Sure! I don't believe a Caribbean trip will happen. Another small bottle of Glenfiddich is on the line.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

fountainhall wrote:I don't believe a Caribbean trip will happen.
Let's leave it at that. Debating whether or not the boys would want to make that trip is my idea of absurd.
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

Bangkok Post wrote:Praphun Khomjoi, Chiang Rai's Buddhist office chief, said that the Wild Boars will have their heads shaved on Tuesday and attend a robe ceremony the next day.
They will then stay in different monasteries until leaving and again returning home on Aug 4.
A reward or punishment?
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

windwalker wrote:
Bangkok Post wrote:Praphun Khomjoi, Chiang Rai's Buddhist office chief, said that the Wild Boars will have their heads shaved on Tuesday and attend a robe ceremony the next day.
A reward or punishment?
Not sure if you mean entering the monastery or being split up into different ones. The former is to make merit for the Navy SEAL who died. I imagine the latter is to get them used to not having to rely too much on each other as they did for so long underground. But that's merely a guess.