13 Thais Missing during Caving Expedition

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Re: 13 Thais Missing during Caving Expedition

Post by Gaybutton »

Rescue mission head rules out waiting for cave to dry

July 07, 2018

By The Nation

The head of the rescue mission engaged in evacuating 13 trapped footballers in Chiang Rai’s Tham Luang cave on Saturday ruled out as "impossible" the option of waiting for the cave to dry.

Speaking at a press conference, Phayao Governor Narongsak Osottanakorn said "this option is impossible" because that would mean having to wait until December or January.

He said it was definitely the safest option but not feasible in this case.

He said the mission was still battling the influx of water. So far they had been successful in at least making it possible for rescuers to walk to Chamber 3 inside the cave but the fight against water was not over yet.

He revealed that officials twice had to flee a rapid influx water that "came like a tsunami or a run-off".

Narongsak, who has been transferred from Chiang Rai to Phayao, said every measure was always discussed thoroughly by the committee and the committee held a meeting for over three hours every day.

The mission head added that currently the safety of the trapped footballers was regarded as acceptable but once the authorities see any danger to their lives they would have to make the decision to evacuate them even though such a move might not be 100 per cent safe.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/ ... l/30349546

Over 100 'chimneys' drilled into mountain in bid to reach trapped boys

July 07, 2018

By Agence France-Presse
Mae Sai, Thailand

More than 100 chimneys are being drilled into the mountainside in a frantic bid to reach a Thai youth football team trapped in a cave complex below, the head of the rescue mission said Saturday.

The unprecedented rescue effort is attempting to establish new ways to extract the boys from above, if the underground chambers flood and it is deemed too risky to evacuate the team by diving out through the submerged passageways.

"Some (of the chimneys) are as deep as 400 metres... but they still cannot find their location yet," Narongsak Osottanakorn told reporters, adding the mission lacked the technology "to pinpoint where they are staying".

"We estimate that (they) are 600 metres down, but we don't know the (exact) target," he said.

On the question of dipping oxygen levels in the cave, he said rescuers had managed to establish a line to pump in fresh air and had also withdrawn non-essential workers from chamber three -- where the rescue base is -- to preserve levels inside the cave.

The "Wild Boar" team have been trapped inside the Tham Luang cave complex for two weeks.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/ ... s/30349541
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

The report starts at 1 minute, 14 seconds.

fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

When I read the notes from the boys in the cave, I was close to tears. I simply cannot imagine that I would feel so upbeat were I in their situation.
Doug

Post by Doug »

The letter from the coach was heart-wrenching. I place absolutely no blame on this young Thai man. On this forum we are all aware that Thais of this age are still considered kids, as they lack world experiences or knowledge. I worked many years as a program director at a year-round kids camp and every day I had to make quick decisions on the safety of activities in the outdoors. In retrospect there are some I should have nixed but often the enthusiasm of the kids swung the balance. This Thai coach obviously has the best interests of the boys at heart. I'm sure he, himself, wanted to follow team tradition and write his name on the cave's wall as did the boys. So in they went when conditions or expected conditions were not problem. The sudden storm struck and the coach lead his team (probably frightened and panicky) to a place of relative safety. Once there he calmed them, taught them survival strategies and maintained their morale. True leadership and all the time inwardly questioning his decision to enter the cave. In the end, only the boys should decide what action, if any, should be taken. For me, he should be praised. My whole being is sending hope and strength to these Thai Wild Boars.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Doug wrote:I'm sure he, himself, wanted to follow team tradition and write his name on the cave's wall as did the boys.
I'm curious as to where you're getting that from. I've been wondering why they ever went into that cave, but I have not seen any news items suggesting that as the motivation.

Musk team heading to Chiang Rai

July 7, 2018

A nine-member engineering team dispatched by billionaire Elon Musk is preparing to help with efforts to rescue the 12 young footballers and their coach from the Tham Luang cave, officials said on Saturday.

One of the engineers was already in the country on holiday and two more were to arrive on Saturday evening, followed by the remaining six on Sunday, said Lt Gen Weerachon Sukondhapatipak, a deputy government spokesman.

No expenses would be charged to the government for their services, he added.

The development came as leaders of the rescue effort in Chiang Rai edged closer to a decision on whether it would be practical to bring the boys out over the next few days.

Conditions are "perfect" to stage an evacuation in the coming days before fresh rains and a possible rise in carbon dioxide further imperil the group, Chiang Rai governor Narongsak Osottanakorn said.

"Now and in the next three or four days, the conditions are perfect in terms of the water, the weather and the boys' health," he told reporters on Saturday afternoon. "We have to make a clear decision on what we can do."

While the oxygen level had stabilised, he warned levels of "carbon dioxide are another factor" in considering when to move the group -- in addition to impending rains which could cover much of the muddy ledge on which the group are sheltering.

"The water level may rise to the area where the children are sitting and make the area less than 10 square metres," he said, citing estimates from cave divers and experts.

Lt Gen Weerachon said the team sent by Mr Musk, best known for electric cars, batteries and tunnelling technology, might provide help such as trying to drill a tunnel to save the group. However, the inventor and entrepreneur has also floated some other ideas.

Mr Musk, who studied physics, has suggested using a double-layer Kevlar pressure pod or a long inflatable air sock to penetrate the narrow passageways and provide a rescue conduit. The tubes and pods are being built in the US, a spokesman said. Some equipment is travelling with the team and some will be express-shipped.

"No need for SCUBA mouthpiece or regulator," he wrote on Twitter about his suggested pods. "Training unnecessary & less susceptible to panic attack."

Mr Musk said the devices were being tested Friday afternoon in a pool with a subject who had never been scuba diving.

Any air sock or tube would have to be tough enough to withstand high water pressure -- potentially two tonnes of force at a depth of 4-5 metres -- and sharp rocks, Douglas Hart, a professor of mechanical engineering at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, told Bloomberg News.

A Thai Navy SEAL helping with the rescue operation died on Friday, underlining the dangers of navigating the flooded cave system even for those with experience. Cave diving is widely regarded as treacherous and the stranded group has little swimming ability, let alone any diving know-how.

A spokesman for Mr Musk said earlier that the billionaire’s companies may assist by trying to pinpoint the boys’ precise location using Space Exploration Technologies or Boring Co technology, pumping water or providing heavy-duty battery packs known as Tesla Powerwalls.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/genera ... chiang-rai
Captain Kirk

Post by Captain Kirk »

From the most recent reports it would appear that the authorities are about ready to try to get the guys out through the caves. Seems that they are trying to judge how long the rains will stay away and evacuate at the optimum point. Still going to be an arduous and dangerous journey.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

In a CNN report from the cave entrance a few moments ago, it is .obvious that heavy rain is now falling
Captain Kirk

Post by Captain Kirk »

fountainhall wrote:In a CNN report from the cave entrance a few moments ago, it is .obvious that heavy rain is now falling
Haven't seen that. Thought they weren't expecting rain until next week?
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

The bulk of the rain is expected later in the week but it was always stated in forecasts that some rain was expected from Saturday on.
"Now and in the next three or four days, the conditions are perfect [for evacuation] in terms of the water, the weather and the boys' health," said Mr Narongsak, governor of the Chiang Rai province, where the caves are.

"We have to make a clear decision on what we can do."

There was a short burst of heavy rain on Saturday night after he spoke, and it is unclear whether this will have affected the plans.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-44754335
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

fountainhall wrote:it was always stated in forecasts that some rain was expected from Saturday on.
One of the least reliable things in Thailand are weather forecasts. Almost miraculously no torrential rains have hit the cave site yet.

Meanwhile, according to news reports the rescue attempt may be imminent, perhaps already underway at the time of this post.