No Problem For Nazi Symbols in Thailand

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Re: No Problem For Nazi Symbols in Thailand

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote:The use of the symbol in Asia predates Hitler
While that is true, because of Hitler the meaning of the symbol has morphed into a representation of evil. No matter where people are in today's world, it doesn't take much brain power to realize and understand how offensive the symbol has become to so many. I don't know anywhere the symbol could be used today under its original significance and intent.

Even in Asia, if you saw someone walking around sporting a swastika on his clothing, wouldn't you at least be taken aback?
jimnbkk
Location: Usually Arlington, VA when I cannot be in Thailand.

Post by jimnbkk »

I think the Thais don't consider the meaning of what they wear. They only wear something because others wear it. I don't know how it starts. For example, how many of you have seen Thai boys wearing a crucifix? I know one now who has a crucifix permanently hanging from his ear. He's Buddhist of course. When I ask why he wears, he says "fashion". Go figure.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

jimnbkk wrote:When I ask why he wears, he says "fashion".
Same with those scraggly mustaches and beards, which I totally dislike on these boys. "Fashion."
Montree

Post by Montree »

A Thai friend turned up yesterday with a T-shirt with the word "Heroin" across the front. It seemed unwise to me but he had no idea what it said. He just liked the look of it. He also has one of those tattoos that says "Born again but still my mother's son". It's a Christian message but he was unaware of its meaning. It had just become fashionable a few years ago.