Another long standing bar bites the dust

Anything and everything about Thailand
Flugg

Another long standing bar bites the dust

Post by Flugg »

I was informed, that later this month one of the old gards in Sunee Plaza will close the shutter - Oud‘s Cafe will be no more. :cry:
Gaybutton

Re: Another long standing bar bites the dust

Post by Gaybutton »

Thank you for letting us know.

"What always worries me about being one of the few is the way we keep on getting . . . . fewer."
- Richard Burton (Flight Officer David Campbell), 'The Longest Day'
SP55

Post by SP55 »

I think it was about 4 years ago last time that a boy in that bar said "welcome" and tried to get me to enter. All other hundreds of times walking by the few boys there were either busy with their phones or busy drinking with each other and bar usually rather empty.
Walking by Euroboys or Winnerboys for example without being politely invited to enter is near impossible.
Just a thought. Maybe there can be a connection between making an effort attracting customers and being succesful.
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

I always enjoyed Oud's hospitality and chats with Ralph and Jack. Oud was just burnt-out, few customers and changes to the neighborhood. As they say, another one bites the dust. I don't go to Sunee anymore, for me its been replaced with the Jomtien complex.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

A friend of mine is good friends with Jack&Ralf and says this is only gay gossip, if so it certainly will do nothing to help their business, if by chance it is true one can only imagine what is like for the 3 of them to sit there night after night, year after year...even their dog looks bored!
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
SP55

Post by SP55 »

I walked past this evening too. Four boys drinking and talking to each others in a otherwise empty bar. They had no intention to even glance at passersby. Just as passersby therefor probably did not want to intrude and disturb them.
Jun

Post by Jun »

I was invited in there several years ago & Oud sat me down with some nice young gentleman, although not quite my type. We chatted for a while & then I departed, as finding some cute gogo boy at Euro Boys (or somewhere similar) was more my priority.

Anyway, I walked past about 1 year later & both Oud and the young lad remembered my name. Very impressive. I always thought it was quite a nice bar for socializing, which is probably more of a priority for longer term visitors & residents.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Undaunted wrote:good friends with Jack&Ralf and says this is only gay gossip
Well, which is it? Are they closing or remaining open?

Has anyone personally checked this out rather than hearing about it from some friend?
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

Gaybutton wrote:
Undaunted wrote:good friends with Jack&Ralf and says this is only gay gossip
Well, which is it? Are they closing or remaining open?

Has anyone personally checked this out rather than hearing about it from some friend?
Friends talked to Oud that said he was closing. Perhaps if you talk to Jack and Ralph you get a different story. Communication problems, who knows? TiT.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Up2u wrote:Communication problems, who knows? TiT.
That's what it seems like to me considering there are conflicting stories going around. I suppose we'll know soon enough. I hope they remain open. I think we all would be sad to see yet another bar close, especially one that has been here such a long time and has been a Sunee Plaza favorite.