Another long standing bar bites the dust

Anything and everything about Thailand
Flugg

Re: Another long standing bar bites the dust

Post by Flugg »

Gaybutton wrote:
Up2u wrote:Communication problems, who knows? TiT.
That's what it seems like to me considering there are conflicting stories going around. I suppose we'll know soon enough. I hope they remain open. I think we all would be sad to see yet another bar close, especially one that has been here such a long time and has been a Sunee Plaza favorite.
I hope my information proves wrong, but I highly doubt it. Anyway I'll make sure to go there and order a bottle of Sangsom one last time in the next few days.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

I have received confirmation that Oud's will be closed by the 20th of this month.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Undaunted wrote:I have received confirmation that Oud's will be closed by the 20th of this month.
That is sad. I appreciate you confirming it for us.
Pattayamale

Post by Pattayamale »

A few years back, Oud, Ralph and Jack would close each year. Then Jack and Ralph took vacations traveling. Oud went on some with them it gave Oud a great opportunity. Jack plans incredible vacations.
I have great respect for Ralph and Jack who came to Thailand to retire. Met Oud and together started one of the most successful bars in Sunee..
If they close for low season, close permanently, or sell the decision will be what is best for Oud.
Oud told me several weeks ago he was thinking of closing. I took it to mean for low season.
Jack just had his 69th birth and Ralph is 79 now.
The real news is that they will be be celebrating 50 years as partners!
Pattayamale
Living happily
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Pattayamale wrote:Oud told me several weeks ago he was thinking of closing. I took it to mean for low season.
Then it seems to me we're back at square one as to what the story is. Can any verify for certain whether it is a temporary or permanent closing?

If not, then we'll just have to wait and see.
Pattayamale

Post by Pattayamale »

Even those that have not been to Memories (Oud's Bar) recently may want to take the opportunity to try and stop by before the bar closes. It has served the community for many years (18?) and with Jack now 69 years old and Ralph 79 the closing will give them a chance to have a different social life, travel, and not worry that the new building owners will not renew Oud's month to month lease. In October, Ralph and Jack celebrate their 50th anniversary together!!!
Jack said the date of the closing is not certain. It depends upon the bar and food stock. If you enjoyed the chilli or pulled pork sandwich, better get one while you can.
Jack mentioned that a few days before closing they will call the auction house in east Pattaya and a truck will be sent to pick up the equipment and furniture upon closing.
Oud said that he has secured a position at a hotel as receptionist. With his great English skills and personality he should do well. Running a bar in Thailand for a long period of time with all the uncertainties due changes in interpretation of the law by police (anyone remember the music police, the sweeps of the area) the economic downturn, political turmoil, opening of another gay are (in Jomtien)....has to be very tough.
Despite all this not many of the bars continued with the same owner for this long.
I personally wish Oud, Jack and Ralph the very best in the future.
Pattayamale
Living happily
catawampuscat

Ouds bar closed permanently.

Post by catawampuscat »

Ouds closed permanently yesterday.
An Arab or Iranian already interested in the spot.
Further doom and gloom for Sunee Plaza, Good Boys will close next month and possibly The One bar nearby as well.
Possibility mentioned by owner was 50-50.
gerefan

Re: Ouds bar closed permanently.

Post by gerefan »

catawampuscat wrote:An Arab or Iranian already interested in the spot.
I think that’s the future for Sunee....
Undaunted

Re: Ouds bar closed permanently.

Post by Undaunted »

gerefan wrote:
catawampuscat wrote:An Arab or Iranian already interested in the spot.
I think that’s the future for Sunee....
Sad but true!
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
firecat69

Post by firecat69 »

Very sorry about Ouds. They were all a class act for many years and I hope they enjoy their new life!