Renting a condo in Jomtien

Anything and everything about Thailand
ก้นconnoisseur

Renting a condo in Jomtien

Post by ก้นconnoisseur »

On my trip last February, my usual guesthouse was booked. A friend knew someone who rents out a studio condo in Jomtien Condotel (modern furnishings, sea view, etc.) at a good rate (about 700 baht a night) and secured it for me. Unfortunately, the owner double booked it and I lost out at the last minute. They did secure another one in the same building which was a poor substitute (dirty floors and bath mats, no mop, uncomfortable furnishings, no microwave, kitchen sink or lockbox, broken a/c & cable, etc.).

However, I fell in love with the location, being able to trip down their driveway to the beach, or stroll up the street to catch the songthaew or hit Foodland. I’ve been staying in Jomtien Complex for the past several years and really like being in Jomtien. The Jomtien Condotel was even better and I liked not having people in my room each day or passing them in and out.

I’d like to stay in a condo again in Jomtien again this summer. I’ve poked around the internet but not sure who is reliable (I also got hit with an outrageous utility/cleaning fee last time).

Also, I usually stay 10 days and I’m seeing a lot of monthly fees only. Not sure if this new court ruling in Hua Hin is affecting Jomtien.

If anybody has any experience with Jomtien Condotel, View Talay, etc., and can direct me to reliable websites/contacts I’d really appreciate it.

Thanks!
Undaunted

Re: Renting a condo in Jomtien

Post by Undaunted »

ก้นconnoisseur wrote: Also, I usually stay 10 days and I’m seeing a lot of monthly fees only. Not sure if this new court ruling in Hua Hin is affecting Jomtien.
Hopefully this is the case!
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
richsilver

Post by richsilver »

It is illegal to rent rooms in Thailand for less than 30 nights unless the operator has a hotel license and pays the appropriate taxes. That does not stop many people from doing so, but be aware, they are breaking the law!
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

There are plenty of guesthouses and hotels. With that said websites like airbnb and booking.com have short-term rentals despite the court ruling. I suspect it will be a quite some time before the short-term rental controversy is sorted out. You can go ahead and book but just be aware you are part of the problem and not the solution. You can book at View Talay 5C, for example, have a wonderful vacation, go home and tell your friends, and in the meantime my friends that live in 5C suffer consequences as you are replaced with another illegal short-term renter.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Richsilver is correct. However, I don't know whether the Hua Hin court ruling affects only Hua Hin jurisdiction or all of Thailand.
martyinsiam

Post by martyinsiam »

In response to comment #4, as one who lives in View Talay 5C, you could also search View Talay 7 rentals and find airbnb Superhost Jason who has condos for rent on the 5th, 6th and 10th floors all 48 sgm at 1,346 Baht per night, everything included, one night minimum, and share the wealth with View Talay 5C.
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

martyinsiam wrote:In response to comment #4, as one who lives in View Talay 5C, you could also search View Talay 7 rentals and find airbnb Superhost Jason who has condos for rent on the 5th, 6th and 10th floors all 48 sgm at 1,346 Baht per night, everything included, one night minimum, and share the wealth with View Talay 5C.
555. We have a hot potato here, let's get post #3 and View Talay 2 into the act. Misery loves company!
Dale1

Post by Dale1 »

Let's make sure View Talay #1 gets into the act ... the ladies in the condominium office at the swimming pool also serve as go-between for many of the resident-owners who rent out their apartments. This being low season, there are quite the number available, at very good rates, thus quite the choice relative to which side of the building and which floor, style of furnishing and size of apartment.
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

I have discussed this subject with expats at our club. Those that are long-term renters, sign contracts for at least six months, and they avoid condo projects that permit short-term rentals. This impacts landlords that want to play by the rules and can't rent units because the project is run like a hotel.
This can impact homeowners in villages also, I know a friend who sold his home because the neighbor rented to holidaymakers that enjoyed wild parties.