Passport Renewal

Anything and everything about Thailand
RichLB

Passport Renewal

Post by RichLB »

Has anyone renewed their passport via the Outreach service in Pattaya? If so, I need help.

First off, their website says they require a bank draft, but fails to mention how much to make the daft for? Calling the Embassy in Bangkok is a lesson in futility. The only number they list is for Emergency Services and the confused Thai lady that answers is only able to direct callers to the embassy website which, of course, doesn't mention fees for outreach renewals.

Secondly, if you want the embassy to mail back your new passport, are you required to provide a self addressed envelope?
Is that a special envelope or just the standard one?

Thirdly, when you make the application for a new passport, do they take your old one? I'm worried that if things go awry, will I be left with no passport here in Thailand?

Fourthly, What is the turn around time? How long does it take to get a new passport mailed back?

Lastly, if anyone else is considering doing this, good luck finding a printable DS-82 form online. It is required, but the only form available is one to be filled in online and then mailed. I sure couldn't find a blank form to take to the outreach. Luckily, GB went to the embassy recently and was kind enough to pick one up for me, but I couldn't figure out how to get one online.

Any answers to my questions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Gaybutton

Re: Passport Renewal

Post by Gaybutton »

According to the embassy web site, the exchange rate to use is 33 baht per dollar.

See: https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-se ... rvice-fees Look at the announcement on the upper right of the page.

You should be able to download the DS-82 form at: https://eforms.state.gov/Forms/ds82.PDF
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

Most of your questions can be answered here:

https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-se ... ort-renew/

The fee is $110, same as in the USA.

Why not just fill out the DS-82 on line and print it out and bring with you?
bobsaigon3

Post by bobsaigon3 »

https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-se ... -outreach/

Wednesday, June 6, 2018, 10:00AM to NOON Dusit Thani Pattaya Hotel
No appointment necessary

Please consider arriving with your documents filled-out completely, correctly, and NOT signed. Documents, forms and applications can be accessed by clicking on any of the below listed links.

SERVICES OFFERED AND OFFICIAL EXCHANGE RATES ON 6 JUNE 2018
3,630 THB- Renewal of adult passports, based on an exchange rate of 33 THB to 1 USD

PLEASE NOTE: You must bring copies of your passport bio-data page and each supplementary document required with a passport application per the online instructions. Please follow all relevant passport renewal instructions according to above links. Original documents will be returned to the applicant, however, the copies will not.

PAYMENT METHOD Please be advised the U.S. embassy will no longer accept cash (U.S. Dollars and Thai Baht) at Outreach Events for American Citizen Services. This is a worldwide policy, and no exceptions can be considered, please see the No Cash Announcement. All payments at U.S. Embassy Outreach Events must be made in the form of a BANK DRAFT.

All BANK DRAFTS (PDF 345KB) must be:
• Purchased from Bangkok Bank, Kasikorn Bank, or Siam Commercial Bank (SCB). (There is no need to have an account at the bank to purchase a bank draft) (Kasikorn Bank calls a “Bank Draft” a “Bill of Exchange”)

• Made out to “American Embassy Bangkok.” (No variations, errors, or typos are permitted. Do not write on or make any markings on the bank draft.)

• In the exact amount of Thai Baht (THB) for your total service.

• Submitted at the time of service.
• Issued within the last six months. You can show this to the bank:

Delivery Service: Thai Post can mail back passports for applicants. If you require this service, you must purchase and submit a separate 100THB Bank Draft. Do not include the cost of the envelope in your total bank draft for services.

Please note:
• Cashiers’ checks, personal checks, cash, credit cards, bank drafts from any bank other than Bangkok Bank, Kasikorn Bank, SCB or any other form of payment will not be accepted.

• The Bank Draft requirement only applies to Consular Outreach Events and mail-in passport renewal services. U.S. Embassy Bangkok and Consulate Chiang Mai will continue to accept payments made by credit card or cash (THB or USD) for services rendered on-site during normal business hours.

HOW WILL I RECEIVE MY NEW PASSPORT?
1.) IN PERSON: Come to our office in Bangkok (or send a representative with a signed letter to pick-up your passport on your behalf) during our appointment hours (M-F from 7:30-11:00 AM, except holidays and the last Wednesday of each month), but no appointment is necessary. Present your old passport for cancellation and collect your new passport. If you select this option, you must submit a copy of your current passport when you apply.

2.) BY MAIL: Purchase a prepaid Thai Post envelope at the outreach event for 100 THB (SEPARATE BANK DRAFT IS REQUIRED). Do not include the cost of the envelope in your total bank draft for services.
If you select this option, our staff will RETAIN your current passport in Bangkok, cancel it when the new passport arrives, and mail both passports to you at the same time along with a letter for Thai Immigration to transfer your current visa.

NEARBY PARTICIPATING BANKS
Bangkok Bank, North Pattaya Branch, 212/1-3 Moo5 Naklua, Banglamung, Chonburi 20150 038-498-067
Siam Commercial Bank (SCB), WongAmart Branch, 500/1 Moo5, Nong Phrue Sub District, Chonburi 20260 038-413-376 038-413-598
Kasikorn Bank, Pattaya –Naklua Branch, 157/140-141 Moo 5, Nong Pru Bang Lamung, Chonburi 20150 038-420-960
You may use any branch of the three participating banks. The above branches are suggested since they are near the venue.
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

When I did mine, I opted to pick up the passport at the ACS in Bangkok, so I did not have to give the outreach folks my passport (note, if picking up at ACS, they notify you by email when it is available - no appointment necessary - take a copy of the email to present at the outside window) - The reason I picked it up was I needed an income letter, which of course, needed the new passport number and expiration date - I did have to make an appointment for getting the income letter -- also arrived a bit early and had to wait outside until 15 minutes before appointment time.

Has anyone renewed their passport via the Outreach service in Pattaya? If so, I need help.

First off, their website says they require a bank draft, but fails to mention how much to make the daft for? Calling the Embassy in Bangkok is a lesson in futility. The only number they list is for Emergency Services and the confused Thai lady that answers is only able to direct callers to the embassy website which, of course, doesn't mention fees for outreach renewals. They just sent out an email, for the June 6 outreach, the fee for renewal of adult passports is 3,630 THB-

Secondly, if you want the embassy to mail back your new passport, are you required to provide a self addressed envelope? There email notes:

2.) BY MAIL: Purchase a prepaid Thai Post envelope at the outreach event for 100 THB (SEPARATE BANK DRAFT IS REQUIRED). Do not include the cost of the envelope in your total bank draft for services.

Is that a special envelope or just the standard one? They have the envelopes available

Thirdly, when you make the application for a new passport, do they take your old one? I'm worried that if things go awry, will I be left with no passport here in Thailand? our staff will RETAIN your current passport in Bangkok, cancel it when the new passport arrives, and mail both passports to you at the same time along with a letter for Thai Immigration to transfer your current visa.

Fourthly, What is the turn around time? How long does it take to get a new passport mailed back? Usually 2 weeks, but if having them mail it back, may take a day or two more
mahjongguy

Post by mahjongguy »

I've done it, and 2lz2p nailed the answers above.

Yes, it is uncomfortable not to have a passport for two weeks but it beats having to go to Bangkok. I made a better-than-usual copy of the important pages in my passport and carried them around along with the receipt for the renewal.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Just for the record, when I renewed my passport in 2015, I did everything at the embassy. I filled out the application at the embassy, paid the fee at the embassy, and went back to the embassy to pick it up when my new passport arrived.

So, my passport is good until 2025. Whether I'm good until 2025 is another question . . .

As I recall it, they did not take my old passport until I went to pick up my new passport. That's when they invalidated the old one. I'm pretty sure I'm remembering that correctly. They also give you a letter to take to immigration so there won't be any problem about getting everything transferred from your old passport to the new one. Don't throw anything out from your old passport. Let immigration do that. And, of course, don't throw out your old passport until all the documents and visas have been transferred to the new one. Make sure to take both the old and the new passport to immigration. Immigration does that for free - no fees involved.

As RichLB says, you might as well forget about asking any of these questions over the phone via a call to the embassy. They will, however answer questions via Email.

Don't forget, you must get a new passport, no matter what your nationality is, while it still has at least 6 months validity. Immigration won't accept anything from your old passport without at least 6 months validity. That includes coming to Thailand for a holiday. You really don't want a little surprise when you try to clear immigration upon arrival at the airport.

Some banks, exchange booths, and hotels also won't accept passports with less than 6 months validity.

If you're going to need a new passport soon, don't put it off. Get it done and over with.

By the way, I did my retirement visa renewal today. No document requirement changes from last year. And immigration still charges 1900 baht for the new visa.
RichLB

Post by RichLB »

I want to thank all those who responded to my worries. I super sincerely appreciate it.