Americans - an update on a visit to the embassy in Bangkok

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Americans - an update on a visit to the embassy in Bangkok

Post by Gaybutton »

First, you're not going to get into the embassy at all without an appointment - and the appointment must be made online.

Here's the link to make your appointment: https://evisaforms.state.gov/acs/defaul ... &appcode=1

I was there this morning to get my proof-of-income statement.

To enter the embassy, they want not only your passport, but a second valid form of ID which will be held at the entrance until you leave. My Thai driving license was fine with them. They will not accept a photocopy of a second form of ID. It has to be the genuine, real thing.

They do, however, want a photocopy of your passport main page. They take that from you at the American Citizens Services window and give it back to you when you're finished with whatever you're doing.

I asked why at the Outreaches they accept only a bank draft, but at the embassy they accept cash, debit card, or credit card, but won't accept the bank draft.

The girl said, "Who told you that? We certainly do accept a bank draft for payment here at the embassy."

I said, "Huh? I recently had a friend who made a bank draft for the Outreach, but he couldn't make it to the Outreach. So, he ended up coming here. When he tried to pay with the bank draft he was told the embassy won't accept it."

The girl said, "If it wasn't acceptable here, it also wouldn't have been acceptable at the Outreach. If his name was spelled wrong, or if the amount was wrong, or it was issued by the wrong bank, it wouldn't be acceptable."

She said the bank draft can be issued by Bangkok Bank, Kasikorn Bank (K-Bank), or Siam Commercial Bank. Bank drafts from any other bank will not be accepted.
RichLB

Re: Americans - an update on a visit to the embassy in Bangkok

Post by RichLB »

Gaybutton wrote: To enter the embassy, they want not only your passport, but a second valid form of ID which will be held at the entrance until you leave.
Second valid form of ID? Not having a drivers license, I'm mystified what that could be? Any idea what they might accept as a second form of id?
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

RichLB wrote:Any idea what they might accept as a second form of id?
I didn't ask and I don't want to guess and end up steering anyone wrong. I would suggest calling American Citizen Services at the embassy and ask.

The number is: 02 205 4000
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

RichLB wrote:Any idea what they might accept as a second form of id?
In the past I used my California dl. A cc with a picture will work too.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Up2u wrote:A cc with a picture will work too.
That's nice. Would you mind telling us what a "cc" is? If it means carbon copy, that's exactly the kind of thing they told me they won't accept.
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

cc = credit card
Captain Swing

Post by Captain Swing »

I've led a sheltered life, I guess, but I've never seen a credit card with a picture.
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

Captain Swing wrote:I've led a sheltered life, I guess, but I've never seen a credit card with a picture.
Not all banks and some debit cards only. But Capital One, Citibank for example. I used my Costco Citibank cc for personal ID a few times. A state card will also work for personal ID.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Identit ... ted_States