Thai Court Rules Against Airbnb

Anything and everything about Thailand
Undaunted

Re: Thai Court Rules Against Airbnb

Post by Undaunted »

airbnb sets meeting to discuss new regulations under "Hotel act" with Thai tourism officals:

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/to ... ct-rethink
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

How different countries handle Airbnb:

https://property.bangkokpost.com/news/1 ... disruption
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
firecat69

Post by firecat69 »

Why is it that the vast majority of these problems seem to be in Asian Countries? At last count I have stayed in 27 different countries using Airbnb and don't see any articles about their problems. I've said it before it is up to the Building Management to do what their owners want. If they want no short term rentals then ban them with serious penalties if caught renting short term.

I have never used Airbnb in Thailand because there are numerous small agencies that specialize in these rentals in all the View Talay's in Pattaya. Never bothered with Airbnb in BKK because my stays there were shorter and easy to use points for free stays. However I know numerous people who have used Airbnb in BKK without problems at least so far.
ceejay

Post by ceejay »

It's not only Asian countries:
https://www.citylab.com/life/2018/06/ba ... et/562187/
My own condo management actually introduced a rule against short term lets at the last AGM. Really, it shouldn't be be necessary to make rules against breaking the law - we do not, for example, have a rule saying you cannot manufacture nuclear weapons in the building.
It's not only in Hua Hin. A large Condo on Canal Road in Chiang Mai was raided recently and the illegally let units were closed on the spot (yes, the people staying there had to leave. That day)
colmx

Post by colmx »

firecat69 wrote:Why is it that the vast majority of these problems seem to be in Asian Countries? At last count I have stayed in 27 different countries using Airbnb and don't see any articles about their problems.
Here at my apartment in Dublin (Ireland) we have also banned Airbnb and similar short term lettings at the Owners AGM
No end of problems being caused by people on Hen/Stag Parties or Rugby/football weekends

One of the biggest issues was foreign girls bring unsavoury types back to the complex and these guys then causing mayhem, letting off fire alarms, fire extinguishers and breaking in to nearby apartments once they were inside the secure perimeter. The other was drunk hooligan types urinating off balconies unto unsuspecting people below