Anything and everything about Thailand
Undaunted

Thai Court Rules Against Airbnb

Post by Undaunted »

"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Gaybutton

Re: Thai Court Rules Against Airbnb

Post by Gaybutton »

That's not good. That ruling will make it not only more difficult to stay in venues other than hotels, but will make available short-term alternative venues much more difficult even to find in the first place, especially if you're looking for venues in unfamiliar locales.

Apparently there is nothing wrong with renting out or staying in short-term venues, but illegal to advertise them, at least on Airbnb.

Apps such as Google Maps and many of the GPS apps at least show where many of these types of venues are located, but I have no idea if they show as many as had been available via Airbnb.
firecat69

Post by firecat69 »

Good Luck to them being able to enforce it. All the View Talay buildings will be shells . They may not use AIRBNB but a large % of the units are rented out weekly.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Well, assuming there is some enforcement, that's going to take quite a bit of supply out of the accommodation market. There are also apartments for rent in places like City Gardens as well.

For those booking in for more than 30 days, perhaps it might be easier to find places at a nice rate.
Or, alternatively perhaps rents will just be adjusted upwards as the authorities extract tea money from landlords.
firecat69

Post by firecat69 »

Since there are multiple agencies that rent units in all the View Talays, I find it doubtful they will commit the resources to stop the rentals.

Of course if they are so stupid as to try , values of View Talay Units are likely to collapse . Can't see how that will be good for Thailand?
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

This is excellent news and for once the Courts got it right. Here in Pattaya, condo owners like myself and my friends have been fighting a losing battle as our homes have been turned into hotels during the high season. Enforcing this like anything else in Thailand will be difficult but it gives us ammunition to fight back. Airbnb and others are nothing but fronts for illegal activity. Hotels unlike these illegal rentals pay taxes, report guests to Immigration, have proper security checks against pedophiles, have properly designed safety standards, etc. I have no issue with long-term renters, a condo owner was telling me recently he lost several long-term rental contracts because of the number of holiday short-term rentals in his building.
mahjongguy

Post by mahjongguy »

The Hotel Act requires that short-term rental units be registered. If more than just a few units, they must be licensed.

The Thai government says they want to oversee quality and safety but what they really want is for landlords to pay hotel tax and income tax. What's wrong with that?
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

firecat69 wrote:Since there are multiple agencies that rent units in all the View Talays, I find it doubtful they will commit the resources to stop the rentals.

Of course if they are so stupid as to try , values of View Talay Units are likely to collapse . Can't see how that will be good for Thailand?
Many of my friends live in View Talay buildings, Jomtien Plaza, Jomtien Complex, etc. and nobody shares your view and wants short term renters in their buildings. We survived for years quite nicely by just renting on long-term contracts and prices have increased thank you (as if I care).
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

I was forced to sell my condo in Pattaya as it became little more than a hotel with low end renters as it was adjacent to the Arab section of South Pattaya, I now rent a lovely condo which is very well managed and enforces its own rule of not allowing rentals less than 1 year.........what a difference it makes!
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

I hadn't seen it from the point of view of condo owners. Now I understand their position on this. However, the court ruling does not stop short-term rentals coming from sources other than Airbnb. From what I'm reading here, the only way to put a stop to it would be for the condo to establish rules against short-term rentals.