Farang Pays 10 Million Baht to Marry Thai Boyfriend

Anything and everything about Thailand
fountainhall

Re: Farang Pays 10 Million Baht to Marry Thai Boyfriend

Post by fountainhall »

Trongpai wrote:I have to do a double take every time I see billboards of these new condos along Sukhumvit, starting at "only 60MB
I have friends (rich!) who plonked down US$1 million for a flat in The Sukhothai Residences when the were first marketed. At that time it was the most expensive real estate in the city. Now that would be at the cheaper end of the luxury market. How much their changes and decor cost, I hate to think. Over the space of a year, they probably live there for no more than 8 weeks. The same seems to be true for many others there. So clearly a lot of the owners are based overseas. I wonder how true that is of other luxury properties now.
firecat69

Post by firecat69 »

Just a couple of thoughts. The Title of the Story appears to be wrong. They change it in the first sentence from farang to foreign.

1. My definition of a Farang is certainly not the photo of the man placing the ring on the finger. Farang in my vocabulary at least is White.

2. I lived for a few years in the Chatrium Condos on the River . This is going back 7-8 years. If I was not the only farang in the buildings , certainly I was one of few. At the time these were certainly near the top of Luxury Residences being built in Bangkok.

People flew in from Singapore, HongKong etc and snapped up these residences and then many sent their children to the Elite School next door . A few of the owners I spoke with told me the real estate was so cheap compared to their own countries, it just made sense for them to buy them and many times 2 or 3 at a time.

I have no idea currently how reasonable Condos are in comparison to Singapore, Hong Kong etc but I would guess still very cheap from their perspective.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

firecat69 wrote:I have no idea currently how reasonable Condos are in comparison to Singapore, Hong Kong etc but I would guess still very cheap from their perspective.
Bangkok is still vastly cheaper! And at the lower end of the market - the new apartments around 40 sq. m - there was an article not long ago that many are now being bought by mainland Chinese. Whether that is purely as an investment opportunity or they intend to spend a few weeks a year on holiday, I cannot recall. Certainly these will also be vastly cheaper than what they can buy in some of the major Chinese cities.
Jun

Post by Jun »

The condos might turn out to be a good rational investment (not that I would buy one).

That's quite different from the topic of the opening post, where someone is probably being fleeced & can kiss his money good bye.
Jogger

Post by Jogger »

And another one.....

"NAKHON SAWAN: A 66-year-old Irish businessman who runs a fitness club on Koh Samui married his 31-year-old Thai male partner on Saturday after they had been living together for many years....."

https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/genera ... recent_box
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Jogger wrote:And another one.....
I do hope the reference is simply to a farang and a Thai getting hitched and not to another gullible farang being hauled to the cleaners. Having lived in this country with his bf for 13 years, I’d expect this farang knows pretty much what he’s getting into. If not, then . . .