Bus service starts between U-tapao Airport and Pattaya (and elsewhere too)

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Bus service starts between U-tapao Airport and Pattaya (and elsewhere too)

Post by Gaybutton »

Unfortunately the article does not say where in Pattaya to catch the bus to U-Tapao Airport, where to buy tickets, ticket prices (which are probably very inexpensive), or what the schedule is. I'm sure we'll find out soon enough and, of course, once we have the details we will get the information posted.

The taxi from the bus terminal in Pattaya (wherever that is) to your hotel will probably be much more expensive than the bus.

At least we know the service now exists. Until we have further details, perhaps those of you who wish to use this service can get information via your hotel.

U-tapao airport bus links launched

4 May 2018

Three bus routes linking U-tapao with three eastern provinces were introduced on Friday to serve passengers and promote the airport in Rayong.

The Land Transport Department and the Royal Thai Navy jointly introduced the bus routes from the airport to Trat, Ranong and Chon Buri.

The service to Trat includes Chanthaburi on one of its stops, while the Chon Buri route also stops in Pattaya and Sri Racha district.

The routes are operated by private transport firms using air-conditioned buses with GPS tracking systems and another system to monitor their speed.

Department director-general Sanit Promwong said the new services would benefit passengers and promote the airport as a new commercial aviation hub for eastern provinces.

The department plans to introduce buses to serve all 34 airports across the country, including Nakhon Si Thammarat, Surat Thani and Trat.

U-tapao Rayong Pattaya airport is located on navy land and operated by the Airports Department under the Transport Ministry. The government plans to use it to promote tourism in Pattaya and other eastern provinces. It is also expected to take on a bigger role as the Eastern Economic Corridor industrial zone gains momentum.

The government is also planning a 225-billion-baht high-speed train line linking U-tapao with Suvarnabhumi and Don Mueang airports. Bidding is expected to open this month with a winner to be announced in November. The train service is scheduled to begin operating in 2023.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/transp ... ice-debuts
aussie

Re: Bus service starts between U-tapao Airport and Pattaya (and elsewhere too)

Post by aussie »

There is a mini van service for 250 baht from Central Festival to Utapao "U-Tapao Airport Limousine". Mostly on the hour leaving from 400am to 700pm. They are located at the beach road end on the right side of the shopping mall if you are entering from second road. Call center phone is 080 636 3282 or 061 235 6291. They told me to just go there thirty minutes before the scheduled service time.

I used https://www.facebook.com/Kungnangtravel/ Ph 081 874 5478 for my recent flight to Kuala Lumpur and was picked up at my condo and taken to U-tapao airport. The driver called me to confirm the pick up time an hour before which saved me waiting in the lobby and he was on time. Best to call them to make the booking as they did not respond to my email but called me the day before the flight.

Returning to Thailand via U-tapao was a breeze and exited through immigration and luggage in 15 minutes. There is a ticket booth outside the new terminal for U-tapao Airport Limousine and they dropped me at my condo in Pratumnak for 250 baht. Excellent service. If i can avoid going to Bangkok airports i will use U-tapao as often as possible.
aussie

Post by aussie »

I returned to Thailand yesterday at U-Tapao airport. Please be aware if you are looking to take the 250 baht van back to Pattaya they are telling everyone that there is a 1 hour wait for the van so "please take our private taxi at 1000 baht." I have returned via U-Tapao five times before and the most I waited was 25 minutes for the van.

I consider this a scam as I noticed many newbies to Thailand being persuaded and going for the private taxi. I can afford the 1000 baht but i thought f##k you and I will take the van. Of course the van arrived in exactly one hour for the very annoyed travellers waiting in the setting sun. There was just under 300 people on my flight so I am sure there would be enough for a van to leave quickly unless people were being persuaded to take the private taxi or by other means.
Jun

Post by Jun »

I think there was some such scam when I arrived at Utapao last year, although I can't remember precisely what it was. Whatever they said, I ignored them.

I went to a mini-bus stand, booked a ticket, got the door seat in the van, one more person got in and we were on our way in less than 5 minutes. Admittedly the mini-bus is not quite as quick as a taxi, but as it was ~16:00, why rush ? The gogo bars will still be open after arriving.
deanagam

Post by deanagam »

About two weeks ago I arrived at U-tapao airport. Unlike a year ago when I had a choice of four different companies offering minibus services to Pattaya, this time it was a monopoly by the limousine service mentioned above. And the counter staff was pushing the 1,000baht per vehicle option. I insisted on the 250baht minibus ride to the hotel, after being warned that I might have to wait an hour. Was I miffed? In the meantime I managed to track down the manager(supervisor?)to air my complaint(using one or two Thai words for emphasis)about the effect of monopoly on arriving passengers. He was taken aback a little when I gestured about writing a report to the authorities about the situation.

By the way, I didn't have to wait an hour, since a minibus arrived in less than thirty minutes. The driver was polite and drove well.

On the return trip to U-tapao airport, I booked the same minibus service using LINE app, with options to pay directly to driver or cash transfer online, with hotel pick up. Again the male driver was polite and smiling.

Alas, there was no bus service from the airport to Pattaya. I guess the Airport Limousine company has the monopoly for the time being.
Jun

Post by Jun »

And this is how corruption slows economic development.
aussie

Post by aussie »

The mini van to U-Tapao was 350 baht today and i was picked up at my condo in Pratunmak. Driver was on time and very polite and drove carefully. They called yesterday to confirm and check the address for pick up.

I used https://online-pattaya.com/

The new terminal is good and the best part is no waiting for immigration and security checks.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

My advice for those wanting the 250 baht mini van from Utapao to Pattaya is to be willing to wait an hour if you want the cost savings.

I have only waited 10 or 15 minutes for the van - but if there are several large airplanes that arrive at the airport around the same time you could have a longer wait, which only makes sense.

Either plan for a bit of a wait or pay the 1,000 baht and get the PTY sooner. Up to You.