Police i lert u

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Police i lert u

Post by Gaybutton »

I'd like to make everyone aware of an excellent smartphone app that I suggest you install - Police i lert u

The description, though written in Thai, translates to:
Police i lert u is a Mobile Application for the general public in Thailand. You can get help from the police by sending personal information, photos of the scene and the location of the crime scene to the War Room, which is staffed by police 24 hours a day and coordinates the police and service immediately.
I installed it and I am impressed with it. I especially like the fact that you can request help for an traffic accident or if an ambulance is needed.

I also like that the app will show authorities exactly where you are. I don't particularly relish the idea of having to try to explain by telephone to someone, in the middle of an emergency, who may not be very good with English, where I am and what the nature of the problem is. I might not even be so sure how to explain where I am. But with this app, on their end they can immediately see exactly where I am.

When you first install it, open it. You have to sign up for it and fill out an easy-to-do information sheet so the authorities can easily find you and will know you are a foreigner.

See the article: http://www.pattayamail.com/news/pattaya ... app-208897
2lz2p

Re: Police i lert u

Post by 2lz2p »

I installed it - easy to set up. Now, the big question - maybe I have lived here to long, will it work as advertised? :o
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

2lz2p wrote:will it work as advertised?
Let's hope none of us will ever have to find out.
richsilver

Post by richsilver »

I looked at the app and I'm somewhat concerned about privacy issues. It wants permission to access your: Identity, Location, Phone, Photos/Media/Files, Device ID & call information. That's a lot!
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

richsilver wrote:I looked at the app and I'm somewhat concerned about privacy issues.
Personally those don't bother me at all. If they really have people digging into those, which I doubt, so what? Most of the same information is with immigration anyway. You provide it every year when you submit your retirement visa renewal application.

As far as location is concerned, that is the point, isn't it? If I need an ambulance or the police, I want them to know exactly where I am.