Anything and everything about Thailand
Undaunted

Brits Most Likely to be Arrested in L.O.S. Mental Health Issues Cited

Post by Undaunted »

"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Gaybutton

Re: Brits Most Likely to be Arrested in L.O.S. Mental Health Issues Cited

Post by Gaybutton »

If Brits are the most likely people to get arrested in Thailand, could that simply be because there are substantially more Brits in Thailand than foreigners from other countries?

I have no idea how many people from various countries go to Thailand - other than Chinese. Sometimes I can't help thinking there are more Chinese people in Thailand than there are in China . . .
gerefan

Post by gerefan »

You're a better man than me is you can understand any of those confusing figures! Room 101!
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote:If Brits are the most likely people to get arrested in Thailand, could that simply be because there are substantially more Brits in Thailand than foreigners from other countries?
That is NOT what the data reports.

The data is actually saying Thailand is the destination where British travellers are more likely to get arrested, compared with other destinations. That's based on the ratio of arrests to British people visiting for each destination. Since a high proportion of people go to Thailand for debauchery, it's no surprise.

II would imagine Thailand is the destination where travellers of several other nationalities are also most likely to get arrested, if their governments actually compile statistics.
Also, the data is presumably only including countries which notify the UK of arrests, or make such a fuss that the British citizen contacts the embassy in the hope of getting assistance.

After all, if one spends the night in a Canadian jail, encounters no attempts to extort money and get released the following day, one would typically be keeping the matter quiet, rather than informing the UK authorities. So the reporting policies of the government concerned may also be a factor.

[For the avoidance of doubt, I have never been arrested]

Edit: The data is based on where consular assistance has been sought. So that is a function of the number of arrests per visit AND how the police & judicial system treat the offender, possibly considering the level of corruption & so on.