What to do, what to do?

Anything and everything about Thailand
Captain Kirk

What to do, what to do?

Post by Captain Kirk »

Hey guys. Just got the news that BF has his visa to allow him to come to visit me here in sunny Scotland. He's already asking me what we'll be doing but I'm not really sure where to take him. We have sketched out a couple of things from what he says he'd like to do but I thought I'd ask to see if anyone else has brought their guy over here and has any ideas based on their experience.

So far, we'll be doing Edinburgh and Stirling castles, climbing a mountain (ffs), a couple of days in London (usual tourist sites + tour of Wembley). Mostly he seems most keen on..................shopping! :roll: Wouldn't mind a few ideas to drag us away from the shops.
colmx

Re: What to do, what to do?

Post by colmx »

I know if it was my BF then he would want to be visiting Soho and the various night clubs and sex clubs of London!
Scottish Guy over on Sawatdee recently had his (Viet) BF visit him in Scotland, so he might have some tips
lukylok

Post by lukylok »

If his passport allows, take him for a couple of days in Paris....
You could lower the limit on you credit card.... but don't spoil the trip of his life.
It probably will be a once in a lifetime for him.
Captain Kirk

Post by Captain Kirk »

colmx wrote:I know if it was my BF then he would want to be visiting Soho and the various night clubs and sex clubs of London!
Can't believe I never even considered Soho. How very remiss of me.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Some places my bf found interesting. We had three weeks four years ago and so took some time in Scotland and some in London and the south-east of England. In the north he loved the two castles you are visiting. Also enjoyed a trip through the Pass of Glencoe to monster search at Loch Ness. We overnighted at a nice B&B in Fort William before driving over to Skye past the famous Eileen Donan Castle.

Locn Ness

Eilean Donan Castle

In the south, I took him to Stonehenge which fascinated him and also to Oxford. He was desperate to see something associated with the Harry Potter movies. The Dining Hall at Christ Church College was where they filmed the Hogwart's dining scenes. He took so many photos! On the way back to London to show him how the other half live, we stopped at Waddeston Manor, the French chateau-style Rothschild castle near Aylesbury.

Stonehenge

Christ Church College Oxford

Waddesdon Manor exterior

London was mostly shopping, often for crazy things, the usual sights and hilarious meals with two friends who are married to their Thai partners.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

fountainhall wrote:London was mostly shopping, often for crazy things
such as . . .
Captain Kirk

Post by Captain Kirk »

Ah the Harry Potter tour might be a goody. He did also mention the Loch Ness monster and the islands ala Skye but I wasn't too sure about that. It is a tad doubtful that Nessie will pop out for a photo opportunity given how shy she is and other than beautiful scenery is there anything else to do out there? More worrying now is that I've looked at the long term weather forecast for June and to put it mildly, it ain't good. It goes something like....rain, rain, rain again, showers, rain, rain, thunderstorms and.....well, just more rain. Even for Scotland it's pretty grim.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

We were there in November when the Scottish weather varied between cloudy with rays of sunshine, cold and occasional snow! Rain seems to be the norm but I am always a bit suspicious of long range forecasts. Even short range can sometimes be spectacularly wrong. I was once in Beijing on a lovely warm mid-October day when I noticed that CNN was forecasting a drop in temperature from 24 degrees down to 12 degrees the next day. Not having an outer garment, I went out and bought a nice but expensive Nautica jacket. The temperature never dropped over my three remaining days! Another time I was in my hotel room in Taipei and the BBC's daily forecast was bright and sunny. Yet as I read that outside a typhoon was raging and the rain was almost horizontal in the winds!

I agree there is not much on the west coast of Scotland apart from some spectacular scenery. On the other hand, when used to the heat and relative flat of Thailand, perhaps your bf might have some interest. He can always take a photo of Loch Ness and tell his friends he couldn't get the phone camera on before she disappeared! The drive over to the Eileen Donan Castle is about 90 -120 minutes.

Not sure if he saw The Da Vinci Code movie. If so, he might be interested in visiting the Rosslyn Chapel near Edinburgh.
Gaybutton wrote:
fountainhall wrote:London was mostly shopping, often for crazy things
such as . . .
There used to be a novelty shop on Piccadilly not far from Fortnum and Mason's. He was tickled pink by the soap penises and bought several for his friends - mostly the girls! His one disappointment was they were all the same small size!! Another was a small savings bank where cash is inserted into the ass of a pig. Stupid things but he found them highly amusing.
Captain Kirk

Post by Captain Kirk »

fountainhall wrote:Not sure if he saw The Da Vinci Code movie.
lukylok wrote:If his passport allows, take him for a couple of days in Paris....
You could lower the limit on you credit card.... but don't spoil the trip of his life.
It probably will be a once in a lifetime for him.
The Da Vinci movie? Are there any superheroes in ridiculous costumes in that? No? Then he hasn't seen it.

And jeez, take him to Paris? He's never mentioned Paris but that'll get the same reaction as "can I have the iPhone X?" Really, he's getting an all ex's paid freebie trip with a lump of money in his hand to spend on himself. I do think it's a reasonably generous gesture on my part without busting the bank to add in a jolly to Paris. If someone would like to make me a similar offer I do promise not to mention Paris - or bloody iPhones for that matter.
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

In August my bf and I went to UK. We had a month of seeing s much of UK as possible. We were in London, Cambridge and surrounding areas, Cotswolds, Manchester, Snowdonia in N. Wales, Stratford, Stonehenge, Brighton, Winchester and many more places. It was an unforgettable trip for my bf.