Article re legal Gay Partnership in Thailand

Anything and everything about Thailand
2lz2p

Article re legal Gay Partnership in Thailand

Post by 2lz2p »

The article, https://pattayaone.news/en/new-law-pave ... tnerships/, mentions the possibility of Thailand enacting a law to allow civil partnerships for Gay couples. It mentions that such a law was being contemplated previously got derailed because of the coup.

I read several articles at that time - if I recall correctly, it had gone through some public hearings, but was still a few months (years?) away from being enacted. The one being proposed at that time would allow a foreigner/Thai partnership to be registered, but not a foreigner/foreigner partnership.

I will be interested in seeing more on the proposal as the saying goes, the devil is in the details.
fountainhall

Re: Article re legal Gay Partnership in Thailand

Post by fountainhall »

I had not been aware of the earlier discussions re a bill in parliament. Frankly I cannot see it happening here for quite some time, alas, if only because there are so many details to work out. For example, will they permit unions between Thais and farang? If so, what would happen in the case of a Thai and farang couple where they live in a house owned by the Thai? The Thai then dies. Will the farang thereafter be permitted to own the house and the land it's built on, or will he be thrown out? What about farang under 50? Will they be permitted to stay in Thailand on an indefinite term visa? Will they amend the law to permit farang to remain in Thailand without the idiotic 90-day reporting rule?
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Fountainhall raises some interesting complications for farang-Thai partnerships. My guess, if this actually comes to be, Thai law would take the easiest way - meaning the only thing I would expect might change would be making it easier for a farang to leave everything to the Thai partner. Other than that, I don't foresee anything much else changing.

Another question: Would the partners have to actually live together? Maybe some Thais and farang would like to tie the knot, but the farang still has to return to his home country or maybe they simply prefer to be legal partners, but don't want to live together.

And what happens if the relationship goes south? A divorce?

Oh well, I guess plenty of questions will come up, but for me this is in the "I'll believe it when I see it" stage.
mahjongguy

Post by mahjongguy »

The proposed legislation falls way short of marriage. It's closer to the early domestic partner registrations of the 1990's in the U.S., like in San Francisco then the State of California. There are a few useful bits but it's mostly symbolic.

"... what would happen in the case of a Thai and farang couple where they live in a house owned by the Thai? The Thai then dies. Will the farang thereafter be permitted to own the house and the land it's built on, or will he be thrown out? What about farang under 50? Will they be permitted to stay in Thailand on an indefinite term visa? Will they amend the law to permit farang to remain in Thailand without the idiotic 90-day reporting rule?"

Even Thai marriage doesn't help with any of that, and this proposal won't be marriage. Marriage example: foreign man is married to a Thai woman. They live in a house which is in her name. She dies. If she has a will which leaves the property to her husband, the chanote will remain in the hands of the probate court and the husband will be given one year to sell the property. If unsold, it will go to auction. That's pretty awful for a lot of reasons, though in some cases the husband might be able to sell the property cheap cheap before the deadline and get a 30 year lease from the new owner. So he gets to remain in the house but most of the investment is gone for good.
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

Here is another article on the subject - published in the Nation - http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/ ... l/30344628