Bangkok Airways - passenger safety improvements

Anything and everything about Thailand
Jun

Re: Bangkok Airways - passenger safety improvements

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote:
fountainhall wrote:there has been discussion after discussion about bringing the black boxes up-to-date.
I think most of us are well aware that for many airlines it is quite rare to spend any money at all unless they are forced to. Apparently profits are much more important than people's lives.
Killing customers is bad for profits. The combination of rampant capitalism amongst the airlines and effective safety regulation has delivered massive improvements in safety during the first century of aviation.

I don't have the statistics for railways, but would be surprised if the state controlled railways improve at anywhere near the same rate.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

GWMinUS wrote:So who we to trust?
David Niven (Miller): "You don't trust anyone, do you?"
Anthony Quinn (Stavros): "That is why I have lived so long"

- 'The Guns of Navarone'
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

GWMinUS wrote:So who we to trust? To fly with our lives...
Despite my earlier comments about black boxes and the lack of real-time data on positioning, I acknowledge that flying is not only the safest form of public transport, the number of fatal accidents has fallen very significantly in the last 50 years. This is no doubt due to improved technology in the design and manufacture of aircraft, improvements in maintenance programmes, vastly improved regulatory authorities as well as more pilots who are better able to handle emergencies. I think particularly of the Qantas captain whose A380 suffered a major engine blowout after leaving Singapore. That plane should have crashed into the ocean. Only the skill of the two crews in the cockpit enabled it to land safely with no injuries to anyone despite a very crippled aircraft that was both too heavy and landing at much too fast a speed.
gerefan

Post by gerefan »

So why isn't the data form the black boxes transmitted in real time to ground stations as is the running condition of engines, position of aircraft, company messages etc. etc.?

Wouldn't that resolve the issue of trying to find black boxes at the bottom of oceans?
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

gerefan wrote:Wouldn't that resolve the issue of trying to find black boxes at the bottom of oceans?
Not only that, but I believe the cost of such searches far exceed what it would cost for setting up and maintaining real time information transmissions, including pilot voices.

It doesn't even have to be the bottom of oceans. Remember the ValuJet that took of from Miami and within a few moments crashed in the Florida Everglades and virtually disappeared? It was by sheer luck that the black boxes were found.

a447

Post by a447 »

The pilot of that A380 had extraordinary skills, skills which I fear pilots of the smaller budget airlines in Asia and elsewhere do not possess.

That's what worries me and is why I won't take an internal flight in say, Myanmar. I want to visit Bagan and Mandalay, but they will be separate visits, flying in from Singapore.