GB's Annual Songkran report - 2018

Anything and everything about Thailand
Undaunted
Liked: 13 times
Been liked: 202 times

#41 Re: GB's Annual Songkran report - 2018

Postby Undaunted » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:30 am

If the government really wanted to make some positive changes they would start with just prohibiting the throwing of water at or from any motor vehicle, but I think there is a greater reason for the government not to intervene, the hiso elite ruling class most likely sees the holiday as a minor nuisance and gives the rest of society time to blow off steam and this year went as far as to extend the official holiday by 1 day.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"

Gaybutton
Site Admin
Liked: 1 time
Been liked: 552 times

#42 Re: GB's Annual Songkran report - 2018

Postby Gaybutton » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:58 pm

Undaunted wrote:If the government really wanted to make some positive changes they would start with just prohibiting the throwing of water at or from any motor vehicle

I recall reading somewhere that for safety reasons throwing water on motorbikes, except for the various "Big Days" of Songkran, actually is illegal. But few pay attention to it, if they're even aware of it, and the police don't have the manpower to enforce it.

From the news reports of vehicle accidents during Songkran, the vast majority of those accidents happen to motorbikes. But very little is said about how many of those accidents were actually the fault of the motorbike drivers or the fault of some drunken idiot or the driver getting water splashed in his face.

Captain Kirk
Been liked: 30 times

#43 Re: GB's Annual Songkran report - 2018

Postby Captain Kirk » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:47 pm

Gaybutton wrote:I recall reading somewhere that for safety reasons throwing water on motorbikes, except for the various "Big Days" of Songkran

I don't care if it is a big celebration day or anything else. ANYONE must surely be able to see how stupidly dangerous it is to throw water at a moving motorbike. Should be jailed for manslaughter if it leads to a death.

Gaybutton
Site Admin
Liked: 1 time
Been liked: 552 times

#44 Re: GB's Annual Songkran report - 2018

Postby Gaybutton » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:13 pm

Captain Kirk wrote:stupidly dangerous it is to throw water at a moving motorbike. Should be jailed for manslaughter if it leads to a death.

You're not wrong, but you're using one of my favorite words - "should." I doubt you're going to find many Thais who agree with you.

On Songkran "Big Day," not that it's really an excuse, motorbike drivers expect it and they know how it's going to be. They are voluntarily putting themselves at risk. Water doesn't even have to be thrown directly at them. They could just as easily be hit by residual water thrown at cars.

Suppose it does lead to injury or death. With virtually everybody out there tossing water, how would the police have any idea who to arrest?

If Songkran puts farang off, the choices include not coming to Thailand during Songkran, going someplace where Songkran water splashing can be avoided, or staying indoors. But no matter how logical complaints about Songkran might be or how much sense suggestions might make, if anyone thinks anything about Songkran is going to change, not gonna happen.

It's a Thai holiday, perhaps their favorite of all the holidays, and this is how the vast majority of Thais want to celebrate it. Nothing about it is going to change because farang don't like it, think it's dangerous, or think the whole thing is crazy.

Return to “Thailand”