Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton
Site Admin
Liked: 1 time
Been liked: 552 times

#31 Re: GB's Annual Songkran report - 2018

Postby Gaybutton » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:07 pm

I made it out alive!

Everybody was having a wonderful time. The exception was seeing a few sour faced farang getting soaked, all of whom looked as if the last time they actually enjoyed anything was when their bowl of prunes worked.

I got a lot of free car washes, but most of the water tossing was onto motorbikes and the pickup truck wars.

People all seemed to be driving carefully and cautiously. And they were more polite about it than I recall. Motorbike taxi drivers, at least where I went, were not being splashed. However, the few baht buses I saw were definitely targeted. Also, many shops were open, convenience stores were open, and loads of roadside vendors. None of them were being splashed.

I saw no high power water shooters, so people were complying with that.

I had a feeling that something was rather odd. It took me some time before I realized what it was. No tour buses in sight anywhere.

By tonight, probably around 7pm or 8pm it will all be over.

I certainly had a good time and I hope to be out there again next year.

Until then . . .

Undaunted
Liked: 13 times
Been liked: 202 times

#32 Re: GB's Annual Songkran report - 2018

Postby Undaunted » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:42 pm

Gaybutton wrote:Everybody was having a wonderful time. The exception was seeing a few sour faced farang getting soaked, all of whom looked as if the last time they actually enjoyed anything was when their bowl of prunes worked.

GB...You live on the darkside, hardly a broad example of Pattaya..You obviously were in your car when you made your observations, had you been on foot or a transport other than your car you surely would have been waiting for the "bowl of prunes" to work as well.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"

Gaybutton
Site Admin

#33 Re: GB's Annual Songkran report - 2018

Postby Gaybutton » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:46 pm

Undaunted wrote:GB...You live on the darkside, hardly a broad example of Pattaya..You obviously were in your car when you made your observations, had you been on foot or a transport other than your car you surely would have been waiting for the "bowl of prunes" to work as well.

I'm delighted to know that you are a mind reader and know what I would "surely" have done. I hate to burst your bubble, but I did get out of my car once I was done with my drive through and I had a great time with water splashing on "The Dark Side," which I guarantee was just as wild as downtown Pattaya.

Apparently you think I don't know exactly what Songkran is like in the Pattaya part of Pattaya. I've done that many times over the years, probably more than you. I've been coming to Pattaya during Songkran for years before even living here. You wrote, "This is the first time in years I have not fled to avoid Songkran." Meanwhile I'm right here in Pattaya for Songkran every year. Do you truly believe you know more about it than I do?

You also seem to be under the impression that on the main water splashing day "The Dark Side" is any less wild than downtown Pattaya. Have you ever been on "The Dark Side" on the "Big Day"? If not, then how would you know how it gets?

I did not end up in the Pattaya Tai-Boystown area today only because I wanted to go down Pattaya Tai, but the double line of traffic also trying to go down Pattaya Tai from Sukhumvit was at least a quarter of a mile long. So, this year I didn't make it there. Most years I park just off Pattaya Tai at Soi Korpai and then walk down to the Boystown area and when I've had enough, I walk back.

Relax. We all know you hate Songkran and you seem to resent the fact that I love Songkran. If I have a disappointment about Songkran, it's that it's only once a year.

Enjoy your prunes.

windwalker
Liked: 154 times
Been liked: 53 times

#34 Re: GB's Annual Songkran report - 2018

Postby windwalker » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:59 pm

Took a motorbike taxi on Soi Buakow but no one really doused me at all. On the return I walked back toward Wat Chai (the back way) and expected the full Monty but got nothing!

So far the worst thing about yesterday and today is the very loud, 24 hour continuous music being played along Pattaya Tai. Awful.

windwalker

#35 Re: GB's Annual Songkran report - 2018

Postby windwalker » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:32 pm

Gaybutton wrote:By tonight, probably around 7pm or 8pm it will all be over..

Is that a promise?

Gaybutton
Site Admin

#36 Re: GB's Annual Songkran report - 2018

Postby Gaybutton » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:40 pm

windwalker wrote:Is that a promise?

I did say "probably." That gets me off the hook if I turn out to be wrong.

It depends on where you are. For example, if you're around where the Arabs are, my promise would be about as good as promises from Trump . . .

Undaunted
Liked: 13 times
Been liked: 202 times

#37 Re: GB's Annual Songkran report - 2018

Postby Undaunted » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:00 pm

GB I am sure you will be happy to know that with some simple planning I was able to avoid any Songkran nonsense, first as not to incure cabin fever I planned a short trip to Makro etc. each day to be back at my place before 10:30 this worked well with one almost encounter, while heading toward Sukumvit on Thapprisit one moron with what looked like a firehose was hitting eveyone she could at 9:45 and was thrilled with each sucessful attack, only luck saved me as when I was in her sights she was distracted by something hence I passed without a problem, there was no holiday spirit driving her attacks only joy with soaking and temporarily blinding as many people she could, I will venture out tonight but will do so very carefully.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"

aussie
Liked: 146 times

#38 Re: GB's Annual Songkran report - 2018

Postby aussie » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:54 pm

The water playing and music has gone quiet around 1000pm tonight at Pratumnak and near the overpass to Bali Hai. Some photos below from the Jomtien Complex foam parties today.

Protection is important for your beer

windwalker

#39 Re: GB's Annual Songkran report - 2018

Postby windwalker » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:58 pm

As promised by GB, the party atmosphere in vicinity of Wat Chai subsided about 9 pm and by midnight the music had ceased. So it is over for another year. Hurray.

gerefan
Liked: 5 times
Been liked: 32 times

#40 Re: GB's Annual Songkran report - 2018

Postby gerefan » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:35 am

Bangkok Post are saying the total number of road deaths, during the 7 days of Songkran, was 418.
https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/genera ... l-up-again

As pointed on the first page of this thread the average number of people killed per day on the roads in Thailand is 66 so over any 7 days expect 462, on average.

As predicted, deaths over Songkran week were actually below the norm for 7 days by 44.

Its time the Thais dropped this silly counting, over a holiday period, and concentrated on reducing their overall death rate, every day, which is appalling.

Songkran is statistically safer on their roads than a non holiday period. Probably because the roads are full and traffic speeds are slower.

Return to “Thailand”