GB's Annual Songkran report - 2018

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton
Site Admin
Liked: 1 time
Been liked: 520 times

#11 Re: GB's Annual Songkran report - 2018

Postby Gaybutton » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:06 pm

At the moment it's 1:00pm in Thailand. I was out for the past couple of hours, mostly on "The Dark Side." I was nowhere near where water splashing is probably going on, but on "The Dark Side" and in the city near Big-C Extra there was nothing. No water splashing at all.

A lot of people are wearing their flowered Songkran shirts now - the ones that remind me of Liberace's underwear - but no water splashing.

Gaybutton
Site Admin

#12 Re: GB's Annual Songkran report - 2018

Postby Gaybutton » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:05 pm

Songkran death toll rises to 188 after three days

The first three days of Songkran's “seven dangerous days’’ saw 188 deaths and 1,934 people hospitalised in 1,846 road accidents across the country.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/genera ... three-days

Gaybutton
Site Admin

#13 Re: GB's Annual Songkran report - 2018

Postby Gaybutton » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:12 am

Sunday, April 15

In the areas I've been to so far, now there is sporadic splashing. Not much, but enough so that the closer you get to the beach, both Pattaya city and Jomtien, the more likely you will get there a little more damp than when you started. Traffic is also already getting very heavy around the beaches. Along with traffic delays, if you're in a car you better get there very early if you expect to be able to find a place to park.

Those of you who are not already staying around the beach area, if you want to go to the beach, your best bet for getting through the traffic is on a motorbike taxi. You're probably still safe from most (but not all) of the splashing, but that won't last much longer.

I still have not seen any splashing yet at all on "The Dark Side," not even the tiny tots with their squirt guns.

I also have not been to any of the areas where the main splashing usually occurs, but by now it's a sure bet that the heavily tattooed, drunken farang are out there.

There is plenty of news about how the police are out there checking for drunk drivers, reckless drivers, etc. Meanwhile, I have yet to see any police at all, no matter where I've been. I haven't even seen police at their usual spots directing traffic.

I've also noticed that many restaurants have already closed and will not reopen until Songkran is over. If you plan to go out to eat, it can't hurt to call the restaurant first to see if they are open.

Some people are hibernating in their apartments until Songkran is over. Some are relying on food delivery services rather than venturing out. If that describes you, you might want to check to see if they're going to deliver on the "Big Day," the 19th. They probably won't, so maybe a day or two before, order food you can save, refrigerate, and re-heat on the 19th.

Undaunted
Liked: 12 times
Been liked: 184 times

#14 Re: GB's Annual Songkran report - 2018

Postby Undaunted » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:21 pm

Truly a wonderful holiday :roll: . This is the first time in years I have not fled to avoid Songkran. I will say I just don’t get it, even if I were 17 years old!
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"

Gaybutton
Site Admin

#15 Re: GB's Annual Songkran report - 2018

Postby Gaybutton » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:29 pm

Undaunted wrote:This is the first time in years I have not fled to avoid Songkran.

What have you observed so far? I have a feeling a number of people want to know what's going on around Boystown and Sunee Plaza, especially the areas where the Arabs usually are out there splashing anyone and anything that moves - far into the night.

Undaunted
Liked: 12 times
Been liked: 184 times

#16 Re: GB's Annual Songkran report - 2018

Postby Undaunted » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:53 pm

Last night close to 10PM I went with a friend to Winner which was lite on boys with the usual falang suspects, after Winner which I thought my friend would enjoy as our tastes are very different we went to Nice Boys which had many boys on stage. Sunee Plaza was very quiet with many bars closed for Songkran. At 10PM no water in Sunee.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"

Gaybutton
Site Admin

#17 Re: GB's Annual Songkran report - 2018

Postby Gaybutton » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:56 pm

Undaunted wrote:Sunee Plaza was very quiet with many bars closed for Songkran.

That doesn't surprise me. Many boys go home for Songkran and with so many farang escaping Pattaya during Songkran week or just not going out this week, there probably aren't enough customers to make it worth keeping some of the bars open.

Songkran road deaths rise to 248

April 15, 2018

Fifty-seven people were killed and 626 injured in 603 road accidents nationwide on Saturday, April 14, the fourth of the "seven dangerous days" during this year's Songkran Festival, raising the road toll between April 11-14 to 248 deaths and 2,557 injuries.

The figures were revealed on Sunday by Public Health Ministry's deputy permanent secretary Opas Karnkawinpong, chair of a committee for public relations on the prevention and reduction of road accidents during April 11-17.

Dr Opas said there were 603 road accidents throughout the country on April 14, killing 57 people and injuring another 626. The biggest cause of the accidents - 43.62% - was drink-driving, while another 25.70% were attributed to speeding. As usual, the majority of the accidents - 79.58% - involved motorcycles.

.......... over the past four days police impounded 7,067 vehicles (5,019 motorcycles and 2,048 cars) for violating the alcohol ban, seized a total of 16,588 driving licenses and took legal action against 82,598 drivers of motorcycles and 47,327 drivers of private vehicles and public transportation ..........

Full story: https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/genera ... ise-to-248

aussie
Liked: 135 times
Been liked: 52 times

#18 Re: GB's Annual Songkran report - 2018

Postby aussie » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:58 pm

The arabs and masssage girls are in full force tonight wetting everyone passing by at the start of Pattaya Second Road across from the new Citrus Hotel and just down from Unixx Condo. If you are heading to Boyztown from Jomtien you will get wet every time if you are using a songtaew.

I made it to the Family Mart without getting wet when three Arabs walked in and took one bandaid out of a pack of ten and asked how much they would pay for the one bandaid. The girl in Family Mart went crazy as it was obvious she already is fed up with their stupidity and said "you open packet, you pay everything" and she looked at me as to say "who are these idiots" with a few expletives thrown in. They should pay the staff at the convenience stores triple wages during Songkran for the BS they have to put up with and they were already run off their feet serving customers and it is only Sunday the 15th.

I passed by Jomtien Complex late afternoon today and there was no water playing in the gay bar area but the next soi over that leads to the Zing and Agate hotels there were many farangs and bar girls outside the bars throwing water onto the passing traffic.

I like Songkran but will be using Grab cars to get around for the next few days, if i can get one that is. I will venture out to the Morlam concert on the 18th and Jomtien Complex are having a foam party on the 19th which was a lot of fun last year.

Up2u
Liked: 221 times
Been liked: 76 times

#19 Re: GB's Annual Songkran report - 2018

Postby Up2u » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:08 pm

I went to Central Festival today. Lots of water in the usual areas of Jomtien, VC hotel and 2nd Road especially between Mike's Shopping Mall and CF. Everyone having fun but seemed somewhat subdued compared to past years. Here's some nice pics from Silom.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/NikonD8 ... 689954631/

Gaybutton
Site Admin

#20 Re: GB's Annual Songkran report - 2018

Postby Gaybutton » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:35 pm

Up2u wrote:Here's some nice pics from Silom.

I'm sure they're excellent, but unless you join a group on Facebook, there is no access to the pictures. How about just posting a few of them instead of a link that is useless unless you join this group.

If you don't know how to post photos, see: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8576

aussie wrote:three Arabs walked in and took one bandaid out of a pack of ten and asked how much they would pay for the one bandaid.

Why am I not even surprised?

Don't leave out the best part of the story. Did they break down and actually fork over the fortune it must have cost them to pay for the whole pack of ten?

Return to “Thailand”