WORK VISA IN THAILAND

Anything and everything about Thailand
GWMinUS
Liked: 28 times
Been liked: 13 times

#1 WORK VISA IN THAILAND

Postby GWMinUS » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:33 am

I have a Filipino friend who wants to work in Thailand.

He is 28 yo, has worked in Saudi Arabia as a Barman and a Waiter in Hotels there.

Very responsible And talented!

He would like to go to Thailand for work. He is interested in working in a major hotel in Pattaya or Bangkok, again, as a Barman or Waiter.

What can you guys tell me about his chances of finding a job there, the best way to apply for a job, and getting Work Visa??

And what is the going salary for someone starting work?

OH and he does not speak Thai but excellent English and Tagalog.

I think he might have to pass a Thai Language Exam?? Do they have an exam like in Japan?

Thanks, GWMinUSA

Gaybutton
Site Admin
Liked: 1 time
Been liked: 581 times

#2 Re: WORK VISA IN THAILAND

Postby Gaybutton » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:43 am

GWMinUS

#3 Re: WORK VISA IN THAILAND

Postby GWMinUS » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:52 am

Great help Gaybutton, I knew you could point me in the correct direction.
I will forward both to my Filipino Friend and let him read them.
Thanks

fountainhall
Liked: 138 times
Been liked: 411 times

#4 Re: WORK VISA IN THAILAND

Postby fountainhall » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:27 am

I cannot speak from much experience, but sadly for your friend I’d have thought the chances of being able to find a job in any 5-Star hotel without the ability to speak Thai will be almost zero. I have a Thai friend who works as a receptionist in the W Hotel in Bangkok. Since I helped write his resume and applications, I know that fluency in Thai was one essential qualification.

GWMinUS

#5 Re: WORK VISA IN THAILAND

Postby GWMinUS » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:00 am

Yes, I agree. And I am also told that the only Foreigners getting hire in Thailand are ones with some SPECIAL SKILL. Like Teachers...
But let me ask, where he has worked in Saudi Arabia it was fine for him to know English, and of course Tagalog.
I guess it is very different in Thailand. You are EXPECTED to speak the Native Language.
He has said he will willing to take Thai Language Lessons. I do not plan to pay for them...
So it is up to him. I said I would pass on what I find here. So I appreciate your feedback.

bobsaigon3
Liked: 44 times
Been liked: 27 times

#6 Re: WORK VISA IN THAILAND

Postby bobsaigon3 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:44 am

Are there any Thai barmen or waiters available to work in hotels in Thailand? Of course there are, so the Thai government would not issue a work permit to someone who wants to do the same work as Thais. It's that simple. He has no skills that are not readily available among Thai workers.

In Saudi Arabia, foreigners are hired to do the work that the Saudis do not want to do or can't do. No foreigners are expected to be fluent in Arabic.

Gaybutton
Site Admin

#7 Re: WORK VISA IN THAILAND

Postby Gaybutton » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:03 pm

bobsaigon3 wrote:He has no skills that are not readily available among Thai workers.

He does have one. Assuming he can speak Tagalog, maybe there are hotels that need someone who speaks Tagalog. Few, if any, Thais would have that skill. I don't know of any hotels in Thailand looking for a Tagalog speaker, but maybe if he does a little internet research he can find some.

If he is interested in teaching, maybe he can find a job in a language school.

There are certainly many Filipinos working legally in Thailand. He needs to try to find out how they're doing it.

I don't have any idea what his chances are, but he has nothing to lose by trying.

fountainhall
Liked: 138 times
Been liked: 411 times

#8 Re: WORK VISA IN THAILAND

Postby fountainhall » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:29 pm

I have actually been surprised at the very small number of Filipinos I have come across - certainly in Bangkok. Most work in bands playing in many hotels as well as a few up-market restaurants. In all honesty I can’t see anyone without teaching qualifications being given a teaching job either in state or private schools. I am sure a few work in junior/senior executive positions in Filipino companies. Apart from that, I honestly cannot see what work would be available and qualify for a work permit for someone who is basically a top-class bartender.

I have a friend who is about to start a job here. Even though it is highly specialized and he has all the qualifications, the whole work permit process has taken months with a mass of detail required also from the prospective employer. It generally seems designed to prevent people from working here!!

Gaybutton
Site Admin

#9 Re: WORK VISA IN THAILAND

Postby Gaybutton » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:05 pm

fountainhall wrote:I can’t see anyone without teaching qualifications being given a teaching job either in state or private schools.

I know two Filipinos, with no qualifications that I know of, who do hold teaching positions in schools in Bangkok. I have no idea why they were hired or how they got their jobs, but they have them.

Even the late Richard Burk, formerly of the long gone Amor Restaurant in Boystown, toward the end of his life, after he had lost the Amor and subsequently lost several other jobs, managed to get a teaching position in a public school, teaching science. Richard had just about zero qualifications, knew almost nothing about science, never took a teaching course in his life, and as far as I know never held a work permit for teaching, yet he had that job. He told me that himself. When I asked him how he got the job he just shrugged and said he knew the right people.

Welcome to Thailand . . .

GWMinUS

#10 Re: WORK VISA IN THAILAND

Postby GWMinUS » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:44 am

Yes, I hear what you guys are saying.
Working in Saudi Arabia, or most other Arab countries, foreign workers are basically slaves!!! Low pay, living 8 in an apartment, and no rights
The only Filipinos I know who have done well in those countries were WELL EDUCATED and MOTIVATED!!! Working in Qatar and Dubai.
I have chatted with two Filipinos who are working as Teachers in Thailand. But they had been teachers previously in the PH.
Anyway, my friend is telling me he has an "Opportunity" there in Thailand and wants to take advantage of it. So maybe it will also work out for him.
I read the Articles Gaybutton sent and it is clear how difficult it is to get a job and the long process to get a work permit.
I am a Architect and I see they are on the Not Permitted List. Too bad for me. 50 years experience and no chance of a job there!!!
HAHAHA
Thanks for the comments...

Return to “Thailand”