Re: WORK VISA IN THAILAND

Post by Gaybutton »

To answer your questions, I suggest reading the following two articles:

http://www.thaiembassy.com/thailand/wor ... ailand.php

http://www.thaiembassy.com/thailand/wor ... -rules.php
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

I cannot speak from much experience, but sadly for your friend I’d have thought the chances of being able to find a job in any 5-Star hotel without the ability to speak Thai will be almost zero. I have a Thai friend who works as a receptionist in the W Hotel in Bangkok. Since I helped write his resume and applications, I know that fluency in Thai was one essential qualification.
bobsaigon3

Post by bobsaigon3 »

Are there any Thai barmen or waiters available to work in hotels in Thailand? Of course there are, so the Thai government would not issue a work permit to someone who wants to do the same work as Thais. It's that simple. He has no skills that are not readily available among Thai workers.

In Saudi Arabia, foreigners are hired to do the work that the Saudis do not want to do or can't do. No foreigners are expected to be fluent in Arabic.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

bobsaigon3 wrote:He has no skills that are not readily available among Thai workers.
He does have one. Assuming he can speak Tagalog, maybe there are hotels that need someone who speaks Tagalog. Few, if any, Thais would have that skill. I don't know of any hotels in Thailand looking for a Tagalog speaker, but maybe if he does a little internet research he can find some.

If he is interested in teaching, maybe he can find a job in a language school.

There are certainly many Filipinos working legally in Thailand. He needs to try to find out how they're doing it.

I don't have any idea what his chances are, but he has nothing to lose by trying.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

I have actually been surprised at the very small number of Filipinos I have come across - certainly in Bangkok. Most work in bands playing in many hotels as well as a few up-market restaurants. In all honesty I can’t see anyone without teaching qualifications being given a teaching job either in state or private schools. I am sure a few work in junior/senior executive positions in Filipino companies. Apart from that, I honestly cannot see what work would be available and qualify for a work permit for someone who is basically a top-class bartender.

I have a friend who is about to start a job here. Even though it is highly specialized and he has all the qualifications, the whole work permit process has taken months with a mass of detail required also from the prospective employer. It generally seems designed to prevent people from working here!!
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

fountainhall wrote:I can’t see anyone without teaching qualifications being given a teaching job either in state or private schools.
I know two Filipinos, with no qualifications that I know of, who do hold teaching positions in schools in Bangkok. I have no idea why they were hired or how they got their jobs, but they have them.

Even the late Richard Burk, formerly of the long gone Amor Restaurant in Boystown, toward the end of his life, after he had lost the Amor and subsequently lost several other jobs, managed to get a teaching position in a public school, teaching science. Richard had just about zero qualifications, knew almost nothing about science, never took a teaching course in his life, and as far as I know never held a work permit for teaching, yet he had that job. He told me that himself. When I asked him how he got the job he just shrugged and said he knew the right people.

Welcome to Thailand . . .