Want to take your Thai friend to the USA? Read this

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Want to take your Thai friend to the USA? Read this

Post by Gaybutton »

There has been quite a bit of publicity lately regarding the Trump administration's proposals for "extreme vetting." Here is just one example, but if you do a Google search, many more will come up:

14m visitors to US face social-media screening

31 Mar 2018

Nearly all applicants for a visa to enter the United States -- an estimated 14.7 million people a year -- will be asked to submit their social-media usernames for the past five years, under proposed rules that the State Department issued Friday.

In September, the Trump administration announced that applicants for immigrant visas would be asked for social-media data, a plan that would affect 710,000 people or so a year. The new proposal would vastly expand that order to cover some 14 million people each year who apply for nonimmigrant visas.

The proposal covers 20 social media platforms. Most of them are based in the US: Facebook, Flickr, Google+, Instagram, LinkedIn, Myspace, Pinterest, Reddit, Tumblr, Twitter, Vine and YouTube. But several are based overseas: the Chinese sites Douban, QQ, Sina Weibo, Tencent Weibo and Youku; the Russian social network VK; Twoo, which was created in Belgium; and Ask.fm, a question-and-answer platform based in Latvia.

During his campaign, President Donald Trump promised “extreme vetting” of people seeking to enter the US, and last March, the State Department directed consular officers around the world to step up scrutiny of visa applicants.

But the new proposal would add a tangible new requirement for millions of people who apply to visit the US for business or pleasure, including citizens of such countries as Brazil, China, India and Mexico.

Citizens of roughly 40 countries to which the United States ordinarily grants visa-free travel will not be affected by the requirement. Those countries include major allies like Australia, Britain, Canada, France, Germany, Japan and South Korea.

In addition, visitors travelling on diplomatic and official visas will mostly be exempted.

As news of the plan emerged Friday, so did criticism.

“This attempt to collect a massive amount of information on the social media activity of millions of visa applicants is yet another ineffective and deeply problematic Trump administration plan,” said Hina Shamsi, director of the American Civil Liberties Union’s National Security Project. “It will infringe on the rights of immigrants and US citizens by chilling freedom of speech and association, particularly because people will now have to wonder if what they say online will be misconstrued or misunderstood by a government official.”

Anil Kalhan, an associate professor of law at Drexel University who works on immigration and international human rights, wrote on Twitter, “This is unnecessarily intrusive and beyond ridiculous.”

Facebook said its position had not changed since last year, when it said: “We oppose any efforts to force travellers at the border to turn over their private account information, including passwords.”

Along with the social-media information, visa applicants will be asked for past passport numbers, phone numbers and email addresses; for records of international travel; whether they have been deported or removed, or violated immigration law, in the past; and whether relatives have been involved in terrorist activities.

“Maintaining robust screening standards for visa applicants is a dynamic practice that must adapt to emerging threats,” the State Department said in a statement. “We already request limited contact information, travel history, family member information and previous addresses from all visa applicants. Collecting this additional information from visa applicants will strengthen our process for vetting these applicants and confirming their identity.”

Millions of people each year complete the online application for a nonimmigrant visa, known as the DS-160. It takes about 90 minutes to fill out, according to the department.

The San Bernardino, California, terrorist attack in 2015, which killed 14 people, focused attention on immigrants’ social-media use after officials acknowledged they had missed signs of online radicalisation in an online-messaging platform used by the husband and wife who carried out the attack.

Last year, John F. Kelly, who was then the secretary of homeland security and is now Mr Trump’s chief of staff, told members of Congress that his department was considering asking visitors for passwords and access to online accounts.

“We want to get on their social media, with passwords,” Mr Kelly told members of the House Homeland Security Committee. “If they don’t want to cooperate, then you don’t come in.”

So far, the government has stopped short of demanding passwords, though travellers have reported being asked for them, on a sporadic basis, at airports and other ports of entry.

By some measures, the number of international visitors to the US has begun to slip, although foreign tourism to New York City set a record last year.

The new State Department requirements will not take effect immediately. The proposal set off a 60-day period for public comment, which ends May 29.

On Sina Weibo, one of China’s largest social-media platforms, several users were critical of the plan.

“Does it mean someone’s visa application will likely be rejected if he/she has been critical of the US?” one wrote. “What about your sacred ‘freedom of speech?'”

Another user wrote: “We Chinese have learned well enough the lessons to be drawn from isolation. Now it’s America’s turn.”

https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/world/ ... -screening
Jun

Re: Want to take your Thai friend to the USA? Read this

Post by Jun »

One would assume social media could include sites like Planet Romeo, Grindr, Hornet etc & chat apps like Line.

Some Thai bar boys change their username every few days, so I'm not sure what your immigration department might gain from this.
Maybe it would be a good idea to create a couple of accounts with some respectable platonic chat, just for the benefit of the goons.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Unless they have some way of checking that I don't know about, I don't see why there would be any difficulty for people with sinister intentions to avoid being truthful about their internet activities. It seems to me any idiot could easily do that.

Somehow this idea does not make me feel any safer or more secure.

Am I missing something?
thewayhelooks

Post by thewayhelooks »

What about a Luddite like me who has absolutely no social media activity whatsoever? Would any US immigration official believe that? LIAR! they would exclaim. We know you leave comments on gaybutton. A subversive site if ever there was one. Jokes aside, I never saw the need to be involved in any social media. Managed perfectly well for 60 years without it.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

thewayhelooks wrote:A subversive site if ever there was one.
As far as I'm concerned, the most dangerous, destructive person of all is already in the USA. His name: Donald Trump . . .
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

GWMinUS wrote:I certainly hope that the American Civil Liberties Union finds a way to block these requirements.
I'm wondering if the American Civil Liberties Union would even try, considering that Trump's vendetta is not against Americans. I think the only way to block this would be through the courts, but I don't know what organization would file a lawsuit.

Just about everything Trump wants to do is my idea of absurd and will only cause problems rather than solving any problems.

The only thing Trump wants that I support is deportation of illegal aliens, emphasis on illegal, because those people have no right to be in the USA in the first place, no matter how long they have managed to live there without getting caught. However, I believe if there is a wrong way, unfair way, and a worst way of doing it, that's how Trump will do it.

If Congress passes laws, a statute of limitations, or whatever, and even grandfathers in programs to protect these people from deportation, I would have no problem with that. Then they would have legal status. I think it should be up to Congress, not up to Trump.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

GWMinUS wrote:It regards a Filipino friend wanting to get work in Thailand.
He is looking for work in Thailand, so the "Thailand" forum would be the place to start the topic.