Not So Friendly Thailand

Anything and everything about Thailand
fountainhall

Not So Friendly Thailand

Post by fountainhall »

There are lists and lists - and we tend either to believe them or damn them. This one is from InterNations, an annual expat survey with 13,000 participants from 188 countries. The make-up of the participants is not known, but I assume that it is likely to be mostly westerners.

The survey found that Portugal is the world’s friendliest country for foreign residents (would its wine and its port have anything to do with that, I wonder)? Portugal jumped nine places from last year’s survey with 79% of respondents regarding the Portuguese as welcoming and 47% likely to spend the rest of their lives there.

Second - rather surpringly, at least to me, although pleasantly so - was Taiwan! Mexico came third, Cambodia fourth and Bahrain (Bahrain - repressive Bahrain) fifth!

Eventually Thailand gets on to the list in 20th place after Vietnam, Oman, Costa Rica, Columbia, Canada, the Philippines, Malaysia and a few others.

Thailand only in 20th place? That either tells something about the Thais or those completing the survey. At least we’re way ahead of Singapore which only reaches the #40 spot.

But can Switzerland, Austria and Finland really be among the 5 least welcoming countries? Somehow I reckon there’s something we’re not being told re how this list is compiled!
Gaybutton

Re: Not So Friendly Thailand

Post by Gaybutton »

When it comes to this kind of survey, I'd be interested to know who conducted it, how it was conducted, what the criteria was, or even why it was conducted. I don't know how reliable the results would be. For example, I can tell you how much I like Thailand and how welcoming I think Thailand is, but I can't compare how welcoming Thailand is to other countries. Other than the USA, my home country, I have never lived, or tried to live, in any other country except Thailand.

I'd have a rough time trying to tell someone whether Thailand is more or less foreign resident friendly than say, Oman. I've never been there, have no intention of ever even going there, and I can't imagine why many foreigners would even want to live there unless they are refugees from Syria or something. And being a gay person, somehow I doubt I could possibly be happy living in, or even visiting a country that rejects my lifestyle, would probably at the very least imprison me for it, or some of its people might even try to kill me for it. For some strange reason I don't consider that to be particularly welcoming. No thank you.

Speaking for myself, to me this kind of survey is worthless.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

I noticed the survey details in the Travel Titbits section in today's Bangkok Post but I am unable to access a link. InterNations does have a link which I post below. Ironically it only posts the 2017 Survey results. When I google a 2018 survey again I only get results for the 2017 survey. Since Bahrain was top in 2017, it certainly appears more than odd.

https://www.internations.org/expat-insider/
firecat69

Post by firecat69 »

It would be interesting to know the % of Europeans. I would guess very high. Short flight for most Europeans and the Euro goes much further then many of the Tourist destinations in Europe and of course the weather is quite nice.

Most of the time I find these kind of studies not very interesting!
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Part of the article says, "More than 12,500 respondents representing 166 nationalities and living in 188 countries or territories answered our questions"

I never saw anything to respond to, so I guess I didn't get to be respondent number 12,501.

"answered our questions"? What were the questions? If a list of the questions was included in the article, I missed it.
firecat69

Post by firecat69 »

Neither did I!

If they want to list 188 countries then let them list the number of respondents from each country.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Knowing that surveys are always skewed I decided to look at a sample of 20 surveys all taken in 2017 from around the world to see if there were any noticeable trends or similarity in results. Here's what I found:

Taiwan, Mexico and Costa Rica seem to head the list (on average) as the most friendly countries to live or visit.

Thailand tends to rank respectfully in the lower part of the top 20. Not as high as I would have thought.

Cambodia, Vietnam and Malaysia rank higher than Thailand (on average).

Sweden, Denmark, Norway which I expected would rank high consistently rank low attributed to the people there snubbing outside visitors.

With the exception of Scotland and Ireland who rank fairly high on average, most European countries suck according to the survey averages. The French and Italians are abrasive to visitors and the English are snobish.

Canada always does well in these surveys, as does Iceland, but who in the hell goes to Iceland?"
mahjongguy

Post by mahjongguy »

I've always felt that Taiwan is definitely the friendliest place in Asia. Smiles that aren't just an act. Truly kind and helpful people everywhere you go.

In Thailand I've learned that the bigger the smile, the more reason to run like hell.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

mahjongguy wrote:In Thailand I've learned that the bigger the smile, the more reason to run like hell.
I had to chuckle when I read this...but so true.

I have to check out Taiwan one of these days. I wonder if the Taiwanese boys are as hospitable as the Thais - real smiles or not???
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Dodger wrote:Taiwan, Mexico and Costa Rica seem to head the list (on average) as the most friendly countries to live or visit.
Again, what is the criteria? Considering that the average reader of this board is a gay male, the majority of whom are aging, my idea of a friendly country are countries that at best welcome gays or at least don't care one way or another and don't persecute people because of their sexual preferences.

Personally, I'm happy right here in Thailand, and a lot happier than I have ever been elsewhere. Surveys or not, I go by what I'm looking for in terms of a friendly, welcoming country. What other people and respondents to surveys might think, to me that is totally irrelevant.

If a survey is ever done with at least part of the main criteria being how welcoming and friendly the country is to gays, I might be more inclined to consider the results.

And with consideration to mahjongguy's point about smiles, for me the more a boy insists he is not a money boy, the more likely it is that I can't afford him . . .