Good catch Thaiworthy - the 7-Eleven topic was a hoax

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Good catch Thaiworthy - the 7-Eleven topic was a hoax

Post by Gaybutton »

Folks, I just deleted a hoax topic.

I didn't catch it, but Thaiworthy did. Some of you may have read the topic that stated expats could start submitting their 90-day address reports at 7-11s. That turned out to be somebody's idea of a joke. Thaiworthy caught that the date of the "article" was an April Fool's day hoax from 2015.

It didn't occur to me to check the date or consider the possibility that it might be a hoax. I'm embarrassed to admit that I completely fell for it. I believe the OP also fell for it. He does not seem to me to be the type to intentionally submit such a hoax.

I really don't understand that kind of hoax. Where is the satisfaction if the perpetrator of a practical joke is quite unlikely to be present to see anyone fall victim to it?

Thaiworthy caught it. I'm glad he did. I'm due for my own 90-day address report soon and I probably would have walked into a 7-Eleven and would have ended up walking out looking to the staff like some kind of nut. Well, I am some kind of nut, but not that kind . . .
2lz2p

Re: Good catch Thaiworthy - the 7-Eleven topic was a hoax

Post by 2lz2p »

I didn't see the article you deleted, but have my own rant about April Fools announcements - be especially alert on April 1 for any similar postings on Thaivisa. A few years ago, I spotted one (as I recall it had to do with Thai Gov't issuing a new law banning marriage between Thai women and foreigners) - although convincing, something didn't "ring right" when I read it (there had already been a few angry comments posted) - I re-read it and then also noticed it was April first. So, I posted a reply noting April Fools Day -- checking back later, my reply had been deleted and the rants continued for several pages. I thought the least they could do was send me a PM or email when they deleted it to say they did so to see how many would continue to fall for it -- but they didn't :evil: .

Ever since then, I've noted they continue to have an April fools day post every year - that's probably where the 7-11 story was posted as I seem to recall seeing it before.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

2lz2p wrote: I've noted they continue to have an April fools day post every year - that's probably where the 7-11 story was posted as I seem to recall seeing it before.
I checked. Yes, you are right. That's just where it is.
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

Some people like to be kill-joys on April 1 and spoil all the fun. :twisted: