Fire on Walking Street

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Fire on Walking Street

Post by Gaybutton »

Massive fire on Walking Street destroys bars and sends tourists screaming in panic

March 11, 2018

A massive fire ripped through bars on Walking Street last night sending tourists and Thais running screaming into the road.

Hundreds of people had been drinking in plaza around Ann Ann bar when there was a ”large explosion” just after 10pm.

Flames engulfed dozens of bars – sending girls in high heels screaming into the street as tourists fled in panic.

One woman was heard saying ”oh my god, what’s happening” as sparks flew into the street and flames stretched into the night sky.

Fire crews and paramedics arrived within minutes but motorcycles parked outside the bars had already caught fire and exploded as well as electricity boxes in the street outside the bars.

Witnesses described hearing a ”large explosion” followed by a fire breaking out, which is believed to have been caused by an electrical transformer.

Bar man Sakarin Khokkruat, 28, said: ”I was working and heard a loud explosion next to the bar. Then there were flames everywhere. The flames were coming from an electrical transformer.

”Then another explosion and more fire. The tourists started running into the street and screaming. We tried to put out the flames but they were too much.”

Rescue workers said two tourists had been taken to hospital for smoke inhalation and one for minor burns.

Naris Niwapantawong, District Sheriff in the Banglamung area of Pattaya where the fire happened, said police and firefighters had now launched an investigation into the blaze.

He said: ”The fire is expected to be caused by a short circuit which led to the transformer explosion. The damage value is about five million baht, but we will have to wait for the evidence before we come to the conclusion of the real cause.”

Story and photos: https://pattayaone.news/en/massive-fire ... -in-panic/

Two beer bars, 16 bikes hit by fire near Pattaya's walking street

By Chaiyot Pupattanapong

March 11, 2018

CHON BURI: Two beer bars were destroyed and 16 motorcycles damaged by fire in a soi off South Pattaya's walking street after a power transformer exploded late on Saturday night. Two people were slightly injured.

A large number of tourists were packed into the two bar beers in Soi Pattaya 16 - Titanic and An-An - when the fire broke out at about 11pm.

Police evacuated the tourists to safety while six fire trucks sprayed water onto the flames. The fire was brought under control in about 30 minutes, by which time the two bar beers were destroyed. Sixteen motorcycles parked in front were damaged.

A number of hair salons, beauty shops and restaurants on the other side of the soi were also damaged. Two people sustained minor injuries from the fire, and were admitted to a nearby hospital.

Sakarin Khaokhokkruat, 28, a waiter at Titanic beer bar, said that earlier on Saturday afternoon, electrical workers replaced a power transformer near the two beer bars. The transformer exploded at about 11pm, starting the fire.

Police were investigating. The damage was being assessed.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/genera ... ing-street
stkyricesf

Re: Fire on Walking Street

Post by stkyricesf »

Boy that looked scary. Glad no one was seriously hurt.
Captain Swing

Post by Captain Swing »

YouTube video of the fire. Amazing there weren't more injuries.
Asia Traveler

Post by Asia Traveler »

A good reminder to locate all the exits of the bar when you enter and see if they are locked or not. Sometimes I choose seating at a bar or an event based on location of working emergency exits. Hotels as well and maybe even consider how many floors up you want to stay based on your confidence in the safety of the hotel. Perhaps I am a bit over cautious but I have been surprised and concerned at what I found at times.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Asia Traveler wrote:Perhaps I am a bit over cautious but I have been surprised and concerned at what I found at times.
I don’t believe you are in the slightest over cautious. Like you, the first thing I do in every one of the many hotels I stay in is to locate the nearest emergency exit and count the number of room doors before I can reach it.

This has been said before but I regard Silom Soi 2 as one massive fire trap. It’s not just DJ Station, although the stampede out into the Soi if there were a fire inside would at the very least result in some serious injuries. It’s the fearsome prospect of a fire resulting in every person in every establishment in that Soi rapidly trying to flee through the incredibly narrow entrance to the Soi onto Silom. I hate to consider it, but I cannot see that happening without some losing their lives.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

The firemen had a water hose that actually worked. Now, that's impressive.