Hotel Recommendation UDON THANI??

Anything and everything about Thailand
Dale1

Hotel Recommendation UDON THANI??

Post by Dale1 »

I have a Thai friend who is driving home to Udon Thani over the week of Songkran ... to be back to Pattaya for the big day here on 19 April ... wondering if anybody has any hotel recommendation for Udon Thani??

Thanks.
Gaybutton

Re: Hotel Recommendation UDON THANI??

Post by Gaybutton »

I like Top Mansion. Inexpensive, centrally located, quiet, and several Thai and farang restaurants in the immediate vicinity.

See: https://www.facebook.com/Top-Mansion-583454618372009/

and: https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Top ... 2344?hl=en
Dale1

Post by Dale1 »

Many thanks
ilz

Post by ilz »

I usually go to the good old Charoen Hotel near the bus station and had nothing to complain about.
This year there was no available rooms in Charoen so I changed to Kavinburi Hotel which is still closer to Central Plaza, the night market and UD Town : nice brand-new place but everything is smaller, especially the rooms which are really tiny. On the plus side, rooms are well-equipped with balcony, and free transfer to the airport.
No problem for guests in both places. Both are available on Agoda in the same price range (1000/1100 THB for the cheapest ones)
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Dale1 wrote:I have a Thai friend who is driving home to Udon Thani over the week of Songkran ... to be back to Pattaya for the big day here on 19 April
I'm sure you know already - but it doesn't hurt to mention that the highways between Isaan and Pattaya are completely bottle-necked during that week...especially if someone is driving south to Pattaya on or near the 19th. Unless your friend has a helicopter you may want to reconsider.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Dodger wrote:it doesn't hurt to mention that the highways between Isaan and Pattaya are completely bottle-necked during that week
That is a very good point and Dodger is absolutely right. I once found that out the hard way. Never again. And if you need a restroom while stuck in that kind of traffic, you better have a container with you.

The only way I would even consider making that drive during Songkran week, especially between April 17 to 19, would be in the wee hours and planning my arrival time in Pattaya to be no later than 5:00am. Even during those hours traffic delays are quite likely.
Dale1

Post by Dale1 »

You both hit the nail on the head ... I have already had second and final thoughts .... plus my friend will have his wife and two kids in the car .... wiser minds prevail.
TomUK

Post by TomUK »

I don't know Dale1 nor do I know how well he is acquainted with his Thai friend's personal circumstances. His post seems to imply that his friend is from Udon Thani City, and this might well be the case. However, in my experience Thai people will tell you they are from Udon Thani, Surin or wherever, and only after further enquiries does one learn that they are originally from a small village 50km away from the provincial capital. Therefore recommending a hotel in Udon Thani City might not be of much use.

Dale1, if your friend's home is outside the city you might be able to stay with his family – something I would highly recommend if you get the chance - or in a nearby Resort type accommodation. In any case, Songkran in Isaan outside the tourist areas is a much gentler affair compared to the mayhem in Pattaya. Unless you wish to attend the big water battle on the 19th you could stay on in one of the recommended hotels in Udon Thani and then fly back after it's all over.