Overhead Cables

Anything and everything about Thailand
fountainhall

Overhead Cables

Post by fountainhall »

Cables above ground are a part of life in Thailand, although not in more advanced countries like Singapore, Japan, Taiwan and Hong Kong. There is talk that some cables will soon be going underground. Having seen this mass of wires outside a Starbucks on Asoke this afternoon, that obviously can't come soon enough!

Jun

Re: Overhead Cables

Post by Jun »

fountainhall wrote:Cables above ground are a part of life in Thailand, although not in more advanced countries like Singapore, Japan, Taiwan and Hong Kong.
During my visits to Japan, I've seen above ground cables in most residential areas.
Quite untidy compared with any modern residential area in the UK, where the cables will be underground.

Examples:
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=japan ... 36&bih=705

I would upload photos, but haven't yet set up a Photobucket replacement.
Montree

Post by Montree »

There are some Sois with overhead cables in Pattaya that I really hate walking underneath. You can hear the electricity arcing and fizzing and at night if it's raining there's a proper light show.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

The funny part is, regardless if the cables are above or below ground, the Thais routinely violate about every single safety standard that's ever been invented (as seen in the photo above) and seem perfectly content living with the consequences, i.e., explosions, fires, continuous power outages, etc.

How many times have you had to dodge a broken electric wire that's just hanging down above a pedestrian side walk. I can hear it now: NEWS FLASH:
"Another farang has committed suicide...this time by electrocuting himself in public"
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

For the most part, the dangling cables you see are not power cables, rather communication cables of some sort; and are not dangerous although unsightly.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Jun wrote:During my visits to Japan, I've seen above ground cables in most residential areas.
You are quite correct. I should have qualified my comment and restricted it to main streets in the major cities in Japan as here in Shinjuku -

Overhead lines are indeed common in smaller residential districts and in the smaller towns.

In my Bangkok soi, the power cables have been raised because there are a lot of trees around here and the many communications cables are a few meters lower.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

In Pattaya it is common to see power line technicians working with no protection at all. And it is not uncommon for news articles to appear about some of them killed or seriously injured by the power lines.
Jun

Post by Jun »

fountainhall wrote:as here in Shinjuku
Shinjuku, with Kabukicho on the right ?

Getting back on topic, with a "proper" 220V electricity supply, you think they would take more care over the wiring. Of course, the overhead wire voltage is probably considerably higher in some cases, although I'm not seeing a transformer outside every building, so some of the overhead wires are presumably 220V.
Asia Traveler

Post by Asia Traveler »

I have always wondered why they have so many cables? It appears they use a significantly different system of transferring power than here in USA. We typically have three high power lines on a pole and then a step down transformer to get power from main lines to user. No cable jungles like I see in Thailand.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Jun wrote:Shinjuku, with Kabukicho on the right?
Spot on!