Thai Logic

Anything and everything about Thailand
fountainhall

Thai Logic

Post by fountainhall »

If there is one aspect of Thailand that has always eluded me it is Thai logic. Where in almost all other societies 1 + 2 has to equal 3, in Thailand it seems there are several possible answers. I saw this the other day on the door of a restaurant in Q House Lumphini. It was on one half of a split door.

Dr. Doolittle's Pushmi-pullyu seems to be alive and well in Thailand!
aussie

Re: Thai Logic

Post by aussie »

My condo has an entrance door with a PULL sign but it opens only one way in the push direction. If there is any Thai logic I doubt that I will ever understand it.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

aussie wrote:If there is any Thai logic I doubt that I will ever understand it.
That seems more to me as simply not understanding English rather than a logic thing, but it does bring to mind one aspect of "Thai logic" that I fail to understand - Despite native English speakers readily available, they are virtually never consulted when it comes to all kinds of things, from road signs to menus and the results are loads of mistakes, often hilarious and often confusing. I think any of you who have been to Thailand have probably encountered that, likely many times.

I wonder if the same kinds of mistakes occur when Thais try to write Russian and Chinese, the two most common foreign languages along with English. My guess is yes.

Here is one of my favorite examples of why it just might be a good idea to consult a native English speaker:

Captain Kirk

Post by Captain Kirk »

Gaybutton wrote:Here is one of my favorite examples of why it just might be a good idea to consult a native English speaker
Sounds like some kind of S&M menu.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Captain Kirk wrote:Sounds like some kind of S&M menu.
Why? Don't you want to fumigate the steam, whitening fage, or suck the acne . . . ?
Captain Kirk

Post by Captain Kirk »

Gaybutton wrote:
Captain Kirk wrote:Sounds like some kind of S&M menu.
Why? Don't you want to fumigate the steam, whitening fage, or suck the acne . . . ?
A bit of a spanking might be kinky but peeling the body skin sounds just a tad over the top.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Captain Kirk wrote:A bit of a spanking might be kinky but peeling the body skin sounds just a tad over the top.
I believe skin peeling is one of the procedures used in these beauty shops, with some kind of mild acid solution. I have no plans to try it.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Thai logic - after a fashion!

fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Not quite on topic, but I noticed these shops on my wandering up Asoke yesterday

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Fountainhall, at least you have photos. I didn't stop to take a photo, but just last night I, along with RichLB and another friend, passed a bar, just off Jomtien Second Road - Piss Bar