Songkran extended

Anything and everything about Thailand
Dale1

Songkran extended

Post by Dale1 »

The Cabinet on Tuesday gave the green light for the five-day "Songkran Festival" holiday from April 12 to 16.

To accommodate people travelling up-country to visit their hometowns, and to stimulate nationwide tourism, the Cabinet allowed Thursday, April 12, as an additional holiday on top of the festival time from April 13 to 16.

As traffic congestion is expected during the long holiday period, Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha also instructed state officials to prepare measures to improve road safety and public order.

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/10 ... y-holiday/
thewayhelooks

Re: Songkran extended

Post by thewayhelooks »

Last songkran I recall being in the cinema watching a pre-movie advertisement on road safety in which bad driving resulted in gruesome deaths. Disturbingly real from a farang point of view. This was immediately followed by a couple of ads about buying new cars in which the vehicles were driven recklessly at high speed. So I'm not sure road safety messages get through.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

The official Songkran holiday period may be marked as April 12-16 - but the festivities actually run from April 12 - 20.

As we all know April 19 is the Big Splash Day in Pattaya. April 20 is the last Big Splash Day down the southern shoreline in Bang Saray. I don't believe there are any festivities after April 20.

I've had my share of Songkran (been there - done that I guess)...but watching all those shirtless boys running around soaking wet - with their shorts plastered tightly to the curves in their asses has certainly not lost its allure... :roll:

Splish - Splash!
Captain Kirk

Post by Captain Kirk »

Dodger wrote:...but watching all those shirtless boys running around soaking wet - with their shorts plastered tightly to the curves in their asses has certainly not lost its allure...
It's the one month of the year I've never been in Thailand - but that bit sounds worth going for.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Captain Kirk wrote:It's the one month of the year I've never been in Thailand - but that bit sounds worth going for.
If you do decide to come for Songkran, I advise making your bookings as soon as you can. Despite the mass exodus of farang who despise Songkran, many hotels fill to capacity during Songkran week. If you want your first choice hotel, I wouldn't wait around very long to make your bookings.

Also, be prepared - that time of year the temperatures get very hot, about the hottest of the year. And don't forget to keep anything prone to water damage either locked up in your hotel room or protected when going out.
Captain Kirk

Post by Captain Kirk »

Gaybutton wrote:If you do decide to come for Songkran, I advise making your bookings as soon as you can.
Cheers GB but not planning on coming for now. Going to make an attempt (albeit probably forlorn) to get a visa for my friend to visit me here. I'm not holding my breath on it being given but 'nothing ventured, nothing gained' as they say. Failing that, I'll be back over there, but not until next winter.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Captain Kirk wrote:Going to make an attempt (albeit probably forlorn) to get a visa for my friend to visit me here.
In that case, the best advice you can give your Thai friend and his best chance of getting the visa is for him to present all the documentation the embassy wants and, most important of all, tell the truth, even if he believes the truth will prevent approval of his visa application.

If the UK embassy does it the same way the USA embassy does, he will be interviewed by Thai staff hired by the embassy and the visa is most likely to be subject to their recommendation for approval or rejection.

I'm probably not telling you anything you don't already know, but he needs to bear in mind that the interview staff deals with visa applicants every day. If he tries to lie, especially if he is lying to other Thais, they'll know it and that in itself is a certain guarantee of rejection.

In the meantime, I hope you do make it to Thailand one of these days to experience Songkran. I'm among the few farang who greatly enjoy it. If you know what to expect and it sounds like fun to you, you'll probably enjoy it too.
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

My Thai partner and I went to UK in August. He had no problem getting a visa. Also the brother of our cleaning lady went to UK in August and in December with no problem.
Captain Kirk

Post by Captain Kirk »

lvdkeyes wrote:My Thai partner and I went to UK in August. He had no problem getting a visa. Also the brother of our cleaning lady went to UK in August and in December with no problem.
Well fingers crossed then.
Bangkokian

Post by Bangkokian »

Does this mean that the water throwing will begin one day earlier? ----- ye gods!