Mosquitoes in Thailand

Anything and everything about Thailand
tree

Mosquitoes in Thailand

Post by tree »

Lets talk about mosquitoes. Real one"s, not their human counterpart.
When we ask for advise at some institute for travel medicine, we hear: protection protection protection! Spray mosquito repellent on your clothes and on your skin. A lot. Always.

In all my travels in the period november to april I saw almost zero mosquitos in Thailand, except for some hidden forest maybe. So, instead of spraying mosquito repellent that contains DEET, what basically is a poison i think and also stinks horribly, I use some alternative like citronella, if any at all. We can't go to a gogo bar stinking, can we?
When I sweat, I take a shower if possible, because I think the mosquitoes are attracted by substances in the sweat.
I bring a mosquito net for the room, just in case, but hardly need it.
I bring mosquito repellent with DEET, just in case, but dont use it (ok, ankles maybe sometimes)
I bring natural m.r. and use it sometimes.

What measurements do other travellers take? Only cm/inch (feet in isaan)?
And especially: What do you expats do?
Jun

Re: Mosquitoes in Thailand

Post by Jun »

Mosquitoes are not particularly common in December when I have been visiting recently.

However, even then they can strike when eating out doors in the early evening. Also certain places tend to attract them. For example the "Art Sketchbook Cafe", on the way back up the hill from Jomtien.
I tend to use Citronella spray, with DEET available, but not usually applied. The citronella spray would usually only be applied if eating out in the evening. When I remember, the bottle also goes to the beach, just in case it's needed.

I'm a bit more careful to apply the stuff if going to somewhere where there may be Malaria, such as Cambodia.
In Thailand, the risk is more for Dengue. A real risk, as I know at least one Thai lad in Pattaya who got it.

Also, I like to have some Hydrocortisone cream available, just in case bites start to itch. I couldn't find mine on the last trip &
Boots sold me some Fenistil, which I found to be very poor (Amazon customers give it a more positive review). Back to the Hydrocortisone next time.
RichLB

Post by RichLB »

I've discovered a somewhat secret mosquito repellent. Avon sells something called "Skin So Soft". It is supposed to be a cosmetic to make your skin pretty and smells really nice. Surprisingly, it also repels mosquitoes. I think there is an Avon store near Big C on Sukhumvit, but not sure they sell the stuff. Try it and you'll be surprised how well it works.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

RichLB wrote:Avon sells something called "Skin So Soft".
It's a bath oil and it does work. It's difficult to find it in Thailand, so those of you worried about mosquitoes, buy some before your trip to Thailand and bring it with you. Just rub a light coating, undiluted, on exposed skin areas. The mosquitoes will leave you alone.

I've seen the Avon store you mentioned. It's on the access road to Big-C Pattaya Tai, close to Sukhumvit. I very rarely enter or exit from that side, so I don't know whether it is still there. If it is, I've never been in there, so I also don't know if they even carry Skin So Soft. I've never spotted another Avon store in Thailand.

I have it, but almost never use it. I don't use mosquito repellents for a very simple reason. I have no problem with mosquitoes. I can't even remember the last time I was bitten by a mosquito.

However, on the rare occasions when it does happen, or some other kind of insect causes itching, I get in the shower and run hot water, as hot as I can take it, over the itch for a few seconds. For me, it takes the itching right out and it doesn't come back.

Have you ever noticed that sometimes there is just one mosquito in the room when you're trying to go to sleep - and no matter what you do, you can't get him? I have a solution for that too. Many stores sell what resembles a badminton racquet, but it is actually a battery operated "mosquito zapper." They're very inexpensive, usually less than 100 baht, and it can be kind of fun to swing it at mosquitoes and hear the "zap" when you get them.
RichLB

Post by RichLB »

Just a fun bit of trivia...did you know that the mosquitoes you hear buzzing are not the ones that bite?
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

RichLB wrote:did you know that the mosquitoes you hear buzzing are not the ones that bite?
Uh oh - what if you hear nothing?
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

Yes, mosquitoes are around in Thailand! The most effective treatment I have found is "OFF"; family care, Smooth & Dry. Does not smell bad and is very effective. I spray on my legs when wearing shorts at night.
thaiworthy

Post by thaiworthy »

windwalker wrote:I spray on my legs when wearing shorts at night.
I wear long pants and don't worry about it. But since I have never seen another farang who doesn't wear shorts as well, I am in one enormous minority and not the virtual model of the farang fashion craze. I would imagine mosquitoes are a genuine concern if you don't take precautions, not that they can't bite anywhere.
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

thaiworthy wrote:I wear long pants and don't worry about it. But since I have never seen another farang who doesn't wear shorts as well,
I have been visiting Thailand for nearly thirty years and have never worn shorts. I spray myself liberally with a cheap mosquito spray from Watson's and it works. If ever I forget to spray, I guarantee that I will be bitten. I think some people have skin that reacts badly to bites. Some people claim never to get bitten. Many years ago, I was given 'yeast tablets' from a chemist in the UK, who assured me they would repel mosquitoes – they didn't!
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

The real problem with mosquito bites is you can be exposed to Dengue Fever which may be serious.