Mosquitoes in Thailand

Anything and everything about Thailand
christianpfc

Re: Mosquitoes in Thailand

Post by christianpfc »

I don't like cosmetics, that includes mosquito repellent.

When I can plan ahead (German language movies at Goethe institute in the garden, every year around Dec to Feb) I wear long trousers and long shirts.

But usually I wear short trousers and T-Shirt, and get bitten occasionally (no problem with itching), about 20 times per year.
gerefan

Post by gerefan »

I have a real problems with the bastards.

They seem to attack me when they leave my friends alone. It’s non stop every time I go out. Anywhere near Pattaya is bad but in the countryside it’s 100% worse. All times of year, wet or dry.

I spray Sketlonie on before I leave the condo and that seems to do the trick (available from 7/11)

As many above say they are not bothered by them, I assume it just depends on your make up...nothing to do with cosmetics!
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

gerefan wrote:make up...nothing to do with cosmetics
No pun intended . . . ?
Montree

Post by Montree »

I’ve been visiting Thailand since 1990 and more recently spend two months a year in Pattaya. I get one or two mosquito bites but have never used any repellent as I really don't seem to need it. When I do get one it is fairly obvious but my Thai boyfriend complains about mosquito bites that really don’t look like anything to me.

Are Thais more used to them and get less reaction I wonder?
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

It doesn't matter which country I am in, mosquitos zero in on me. I have been at the Thailand Cultural Centre listening to a concert and even been bitten through my socks (admittedly very thin ones but who wears thick ones in Thailand?)! If I go out in shorts or short sleeved shirts I wear a Belgian made milky-looking repellant named Jaico that is readily on sale here. It has rather a distinct smell initially but it is the only one that works for me. All the others - and I have tried many - fail my mosquito test.

If I do get bitten there is a pain deadener named After Bite in a pencil-bike container that I think is Chinese-made as all the rest of the wording on the exterior is Chinese characters. I'm sorry I have no recollection where I bought it. But it works! When I use it I'm not scratching at those perky bites all the time!