Soi Twilight to be Demolished in June/July for Redevelopment?

Anything and everything about Thailand
Dodger

Re: Soi Twilight to be Demolished in June/July for Redevelopment?

Post by Dodger »

You would think that if these bars were going to relocate after closing shop in Soi Twilight there would be some mention of this on their websites, if for no other reason then to communicate this to their customer base...and there's not. This (to me any way) is an indication that they (the bar owners) are simply cutting bait and retiring their businesses.

The Twilight bars were great when I first visited many years ago but steadily went down hill after that. The drink prices in most of the gogo's were outrageous - as were the off fees. Too commercial for my taste and better suited for the weekend gay tourists.

I don't visit BKK much at all but liked Scorpion Bar when it was filled with those cute Vietnamese boys. I could get a Leo for 75 baht and the off fees were reasonable - the same as Pattaya.

If I lived in BKK I'd probably be sticking with the aps or cruising around the palace for the freelancers.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Dodger wrote:if these bars were going to relocate after closing shop in Soi Twilight there would be some mention of this on their websites
The supposed demolition date is still a few months away. Maybe they'll mention it later. They might not have even decided yet where they will relocate. Maybe they are waiting in hopes that the demolition deal will fall through. Whatever, some of these bars hardly ever keep their web sites up to date.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Gaybutton wrote:Maybe they are waiting in hopes that the demolition deal will fall through.
I can only guess that given the massive renovation scheduled for that long section of Rama 4, it is unlikely the Soi will remain. That said, it may well be that the developer won't get round to work on Soi Twilight until many months later than the lease end date. If so, then existing tenants might get one or more short-term renewals.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

fountainhall wrote:existing tenants might get one or more short-term renewals.
Maybe, but Trongpai's post said, "I was told by some of the business owners on Soi Twilight and the adjacent business that face Rama 4 that they have been informed that all leases are going to expire on 1 May 2018 and there will be no renewals."

None of us know for certain what will happen, but the best information so far is by May 1, or before, those bars will be closed.

As far as I know, none of the bar owners have announced their intentions. For the time being, we're at the 'wait' part of 'wait and see.'

I wish we had better information because a number of people plan their holiday time in Bangkok specifically to go to the Soi Twilight bars, but we cannot yet inform anyone when those bars will start closing or whether they're going to relocate elsewhere - if at all - or whether that relocation will even be in Bangkok.

If I were one of those bar owners and did intend to reopen at another location, I'd be taking a serious look at Pattaya.
Trongpai

Post by Trongpai »

Lots of speculation but it's all going to come down to wait and see what happens. Word I got is the developer is going to compensate each business depending on the lease terms and pay for relocation. The amounts are not going to be published. Some are looking now at new locations. Nothing has been finalized.

Hot Male just finished a remodeling of the interior and several bars have recently put up new facades. X-Size recently was acquired by a new owner when the last suddenly died. I guess they did not see this coming.

I'm not sure how to interpret leases expiring on May 01. It could mean good through the end of May.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

A little more information now. Some of the bars are taking a look at Patpong 2 in Bangkok, not far at all from Soi Twilight.

Of course, when the Patpong 2 landlords found out the the Soi Twilight bars are being forced out, for some strange reason the rental prices shot up.

What we know is some of the bars are looking at Patpong 2, but we know nothing more than that at this point. Looking does not necessarily mean that's where they're going to move, but it does clearly indicate that at least some of the bars do plan to relocate.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote:I were one of those bar owners and did intend to reopen at another location, I'd be taking a serious look at Pattaya.
That simply doesn't work for all the people who live in or are visiting Bangkok.
Any bar relocating to Pattaya loses all the Bangkok customers & is competing with the other Pattaya bars.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote:competing with the other Pattaya bars.
Unfortunately, not all that many bars still around to compete with . . .
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Gaybutton wrote:Some of the bars are taking a look at Patpong 2 in Bangkok, not far at all from Soi Twilight
As the go-go bar model has slowly nose-dived, it is the variety of other establishments that keeps that soi going for many visitors - Dick's Cafe, the massage spas and the open air beer bars like Hotmale 2. The sum is therefore greater than the parts. That's why Soi 4 is now so successful. It offers something for most visitors. And that's why I think venues all moving to different locations will be a recipe for a quick demise.

There is one area very close by where that mix could be recreated. It's a small enclosed soi on the other side of Suriwong between Wall Street Tower and Patpong 2. One side is just a wall so there is parking there and along the middle. For a couple of years there was a go-go bar there with a lot of twink and fem boys. It had 4 or 5 semi-enclosed banquettes along one side which were always good for a bit of fondling. Called Heartbeat Club it was a fun place to visit from time to time, but did not last. It seems there are now some karaoke bars and spas there, along with a restaurant. If some of these existing tenants there could be persuaded to move out and construction of simple beer bars permitted on the wall side, I believe it could perhaps work - "perhaps" being the operative word.

Personally I think Patpong 2 sucks as a location. I don't believe you can mix the girlie and gay bars in one small area, despite Screwboys apparent resurgence.
gerefan

Post by gerefan »

If there are vacant premises in Patpong (presumably ex str8 gogo bars) one has to ask ...why?