Soi Twilight to be Demolished in June/July for Redevelopment?

Anything and everything about Thailand
Undaunted

Re: Soi Twilight to be Demolished in June/July for Redevelopment?

Post by Undaunted »

Trongpai I enjoy your Bangkok updates, nice to have "boots on the ground" for current info.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Trongpai wrote:Moving to where?
Their web site also does not say when they're going to move. Maybe they don't have a location yet. At the moment there doesn't seem to be any information as to whether they're going to move in a few days, a few months, or whenever.

I'm sure somebody can talk to them and find out more, but my guess - emphasis on guess - is they're not going to move until they at least know where the majority of the gay bars will end up.

I believe much of their business depends upon farang heading to the go-go bars. If that is correct, then it wouldn't make much sense for them to move until they can find a place to open that will be in close proximity to the next Soi Twilight, wherever that will be - preferably with the same kind of view of the soi, boys, and bars. I hope that will be possible.

I know some don't appreciate me saying this, but I really don't understand why these bars want to remain in Bangkok at all when Sunee Plaza has plenty of available venues for both go-go bars and venues such as Dick's Cafe. Everything would still be centralized, the building rent prices are probably significantly less expensive, gay accommodations are close by, and in many cases the go-go bars wouldn't have to do much more than just walk in and turn on the lights. The stages and many of the settings are still there.

If they can't have a dedicated soi in Bangkok, what's their motivation for remaining in Bangkok?
gerefan

Post by gerefan »

It seems to me that when a Thai business closes they seem to be very careful not to lose face.

I can recall many places closing for "refurbishment" "staff holidays" etc etc.

So don't be disappointed if this is the end of Dicks Cafe. I hope not, but I have seen so many misleading notices on doors!
Trongpai

Post by Trongpai »

Requiem for Dick"s: Many came on the last night to pay their respects. Some of whom I've not seen in years came out to have one last drink and say 'play it again Sam.' You will be missed.

So long, farewell, auf Wiedersehen, adieu
Adieu, adieu, to yieu and yieu and yieu

The Sound of Music, 1965
Trongpai

Post by Trongpai »

Fresh Boys at the new location had a soft opening tonight. It's on the second floor of Patpong 2 above Screw Boys. Drinks were 100B! for the opening night but might stay at that price during the soft opening period. There's a small beer bar at ground level. Inside is on the small size. They had some very good looking guys at the entrance. I was told that there's a show but I did not stay.

Strangely, Fresh Boys at soi Twilight was also open at usual prices. So, what's up with that I asked and received only shrugs.

Dick's sign is gone and the interior gutted out.
bobsaigon3

Post by bobsaigon3 »

Received an email last week from a long time Dreamboys capitan, as much 'in the know' as any employee can be. He said all of the businesses in the soi will definitely have to move.....some time...in the future...maybe this year...or perhaps next year.
Trongpai

Post by Trongpai »

Continuing with the update of Soi Twilight bars: I went into the Patpong 2 (new) Fresh boys on the second floor above Screw Boys. Quite a large bar with a center stage, all new inside. There were 15 boys of pretty good quality and no pushy mamasans. There's also a ground floor beer bar. Drinks in the bar 350, 150 at the beer bar.

For reasons that elude me as the Twilight bars move some are acquiring a new name. X-Size has taken over the old Heart Beat Club on soi Wall Street. It's called G Boys now.

Both X Size and Fresh Boys on soi Twilight also remain open. Another situation that eludes me.

Next to Screw Boys is a new bar called Tokyo Boys. Where that name comes from is a mystery to me as there's no Japanese boys in the bar. It's very small and I can't quite figure out what is wants to be.

Screw Boys not wanting to be outdone by all these new bars has a new Welcome to the New Screw Boys sign. Looks just like the old Screw Boys!

Because of the Circuit Party in Pattaya the Bangkok bars have all been full of customers. It seems that all of Gay Singapore is in Pattaya or Bangkok this weekend and they are spending a lot of money.

As for when the soi gets bull dozed:
a. One Month
b. Six Months
c. One Year
d. all the above
e. No one has a clue but opinions abound
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Trongpai wrote:X-Size has taken over the old Heart Beat Club on soi Wall Street. It's called G Boys now.
Heartbeat Club must have been closed for about 5 years or thereabouts. I wonder if the layout inside is the same now. I used to visit with friends and we liked the series of U-shaped booths on the right of the stage as you entered which gave a degree of privacy when entertaining some of the gogo boys. I always thought this soi would make the most ideal relocation soi for the Twilight bars if there were premises available.
Trongpai wrote:It seems that all of Gay Singapore is in Pattaya or Bangkok this weekend and they are spending a lot of money.
Not just Singaporeans. Lots of guys from Hong Kong here. Dined with friends at Eat Me off Soi Convent yesterday evening. Totally packed with quite a number of gay couples. Our usual very nice waiter said most diners were from those two cities. Both have holidays on Monday for the annual Dragon Boat Festival and so many are here for the long week-end.
Trongpai

Post by Trongpai »

fountainhall wrote: Not just Singaporeans. Lots of guys from Hong Kong here. Dined with friends at Eat Me off Soi Convent yesterday evening. Totally packed with quite a number of gay couples. Our usual very nice waiter said most diners were from those two cities. Both have holidays on Monday for the annual Dragon Boat Festival and so many are here for the long week-end.
This circuit party does attract huge numbers of young gay Asians but not young Thais. My BF said neither he or any of his friends are going. It's not a Thai party. He said gay facebook contacts are talking about it but all seem to agree it's not "Thai enough" to merit going. Also, it's expensive.

Gay business owners are quite pleased with the spill over business from this Pattaya event. When it was in Phuket Bangkok did not benefit like this.

Babylon, Chakran and some massage venues have had lines to get in the door.
Trongpai

Post by Trongpai »

Now on Soi Twilight a sign has been erected that says: " This soi is not going to close and all the business go on as usual. Between 7:00pm to 01:00am. So you can enjoy our shows as usual"

It's opposite Dream Boys at I think where the Dick's Cafe sign was removed when they closed or should I say moved to another yet to be announced location.

I have no clue who put up the sign and what it really means. It's in English, Chinese and Thai.

Thais have a unique take on signs. Not long ago the government said it was going to stop motorbikes from driving on the wrong side of the road. Signs were put up warning of a 5000B fine. The motorbike bank near me after a few weeks used the sign to hang their vests. Then a few months latter they used the wood from the sign to make a bench.