Restaurant "Improvements"

Anything and everything about Thailand
Up2u

Re: Restaurant "Improvements"

Post by Up2u »

RichLB wrote:In the hopes of reviving this thread, I've thought of another "improvement". When serving baked potatoes, it'd save my burnt fingers if the cook would remove the aluminum foil wrapper before the meal is served.
.... and just as important is to use a proper baking potato, preferably an Idaho russet. Many restaurants use something like a Yukon gold or new potato which are better suited for boiling or roasting. The times I have had a proper baked potato in Thailand are few.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Up2u wrote:.... and just as important is to use a proper baking potato, preferably an Idaho russet.
They can't serve 'em if they can't get 'em. The only Russets I've ever seen in Thailand are imported and sold at Villa Market. I've never seen a Yukon Gold in Thailand.

Maybe some of the more expensive, high end restaurants import them, but most restaurants in Thailand use potatoes grown in Thailand. If they're actually baked rather than microwaved, that's good enough for me.
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

I've seen imported potatoes at Makro and probably used by many restaurants which probably explains why baked potatoes here do not come close to a russet. I suspect they are best for boiling and roasting. I occasionally get russets from Villa and my home prepared are superior to anything I've eaten in restaurants here.