Ting Tong Red Bar, Sunee Plaza Update

Anything and everything about Thailand
Maple

Ting Tong Red Bar, Sunee Plaza Update

Post by Maple »

Ting Tong Red has been closed since Thursday when 6-8 military police stormed into the bar and inspected the bar's licenses and paperwork. The charge: selling beer and spirits without an "entertainment license". The bar's regular liquor license covers selling drinks to patrons sitting on couches on the terrace. But apparently a new license is required to allow patrons to have drinks at tables in the soi. Two staff were taken to the station, but they returned to the bar one hour later. Ting Tong Red is expected to reopen on Monday or Tuesday.
Gaybutton

Re: Ting Tong Red Bar, Sunee Plaza Update

Post by Gaybutton »

Maple wrote:apparently a new license is required to allow patrons to have drinks at tables in the soi.
I guess simply pointing out to the bar that such a license is required and they have to stop selling drinks to tables on the soi until they obtain the license wasn't enough. They even closed the portion of the bar that was in compliance with the maze of licensing requirements.

Why do I think this "entertainment license" probably costs a fortune?

This morning I received a message from a Thai boy who works in a Boyztown go-go bar. "Today I did not go to work. I can not really work. My bar went to sleep."

I'm not quite sure how to interpret that, but it sounds to me as if Boyztown may also have been raided and for whatever reasons some bars there were closed down too.

Can anyone verify what the story is in Boyztown?
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

The bars in Boyztown were open last night when I left at midnight.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Gaybutton wrote:This morning I received a message from a Thai boy who works in a Boyztown go-go bar. "Today I did not go to work. I can not really work. My bar went to sleep."
Maybe he meant there were no customers or money to be made there.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

This evening Ting Tong Red is still closed. Monday, Mario will start making arrangements to obtain the entertainment license. Once he has it, Ting Tong Red will reopen.
gerefan

Post by gerefan »

Gaybutton wrote:This morning I received a message from a Thai boy who works in a Boyztown go-go bar. "Today I did not go to work. I can not really work. My bar went to sleep."
Would it be anything to do with this? See post 18...

https://sawatdeenetwork.com/v4/showthre ... post236682
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

gerefan wrote:Would it be anything to do with this?
Looks like a 'yes' to me . . .
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

This story appears in today's (February 5) Bangkok Post. Perfect timing considering what happened with Ting Tong Red:

Panel wants end to licensing nightmare

by Nattaya Chetchotiros

5 Feb 2018

A law reform panel is to ask the government to vastly curb the amount of paperwork involved in issuing licences to businesses.

At the moment there are about 700,000 different kinds of licensing forms circulating nationwide and the panel wants to reduce this number to 1,000 to cut down on local authority budgets and standardise processes.

Borwornsak Uwanno, chairman of the panel responsible for looking into ways to streamline the bureaucracy and related laws, said efforts are being made to improve or repeal regulations which impede business operations.

"The Licensing Facilitation Act and more than 24 relevant laws need to be amended while a new piece of legislation needs to be rolled out to boost the ease of doing business," he said.

The panel is also about to propose a bill on the promotion of social enterprises along with new legislation concerning unclaimed assets, such as idle bank accounts and funds, which would enable the recovered money to be used in the public interest, according to Mr Borwornsak.

He was speaking at a recent seminar on Thai law reforms in Bangkok.

PM's Office Minister Kobsak Pootrakul, who also chairs a subcommittee looking into the laws governing business operations, said the cabinet will be asked to vastly reduce the paperwork and related procedures involved in setting up a new company.

Around 700,000 different documents governing business-related licences are currently used by the central and local administrations. Many of these forms need revoking as they have become obsolete, Mr Kobsak said.

He said the panel aims to reduce the total amount of documents related to licensing to about 1,000 which will be used nationally and will help to do away with red tape and ease the burden of doing business.

According to the minister, certain procedures need to be merged and handled by one agency so people who will no longer need to seek approval to run their businesses from many state agencies. No word was to hand on how much it is likely to save businesses on compliance costs.

However, the streamlining of these legal processes will lead to savings in the national budget, he said, adding: "Each law repealed or merged is estimated to save around one billion baht."

The prime minister has instructed agencies to review procedures involved in seeking licenses within both the retail and construction sector. State agencies will be encouraged to upload relevant laws to their websites to ensure people have easier access to the information.

Mr Borwornsak said he is also in the process of drafting a law on social enterprises as many people want to take part in businesses which provide assistance to their local communities.

The legislation is set to be forwarded to the cabinet within two weeks and likely to be enforced in April, he noted. Another bill on community banks will also be presented at the cabinet meeting this week.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/politi ... -nightmare
jimnbkk
Location: Usually Arlington, VA when I cannot be in Thailand.

Post by jimnbkk »

Mario said tonight that the bar will open tomorrow, Tuesday!!
Maple

Post by Maple »

Ting Tong Red bar and restaurant reopened today (Wednesday). Late last night, the army police delivered the new "entertainment license" to Mario, the boss. Meanwhile, the Elephant Plaza Hotel and bar next door has also reopened, serving food until 6pm.