smog in pattaya

Anything and everything about Thailand
Concerned

#1 smog in pattaya

Postby Concerned » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:57 pm

For the past week I have had an underlying head ache which yesterday moved to the other side of my head. A friend has advised that that is the symptoms of a sinus headache which requires taking an anti histamine for relief. I presume it is caused by this smog which has engulfed pattaya for the last week. The infamous bum island opposite Dongtan has been missing on the horizon for days. A friend of mine visiting from Europe has developed a head ache behind his left eye which he thought was due to his contact lenses. I did a quick search on the internet & the day they read the air pollution index in Pattaya it was 112 units which is "definitely considered unhealthy for sensitive groups" & on that same day the reading for Los Angeles was 50 units. Are we jeopardising our health to live in Paradise?

gerefan
Liked: 1 time
Been liked: 26 times

#2 Re: smog in pattaya

Postby gerefan » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:06 am

Nope... try going to Chang Mai at this time of year if you want to see real Thai/Burmese smog.

mahjongguy
Liked: 7 times
Been liked: 41 times

#3 Re: smog in pattaya

Postby mahjongguy » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:05 am

This week's very visible haze is not smog, it's fog, a seasonal thing caused by high relative humidity.

That said, Pattaya does have periods of poor air quality due to nearby industrial polluters.

fountainhall
Liked: 86 times
Been liked: 264 times

#4 Re: smog in pattaya

Postby fountainhall » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:10 am

Meantime Bangkok, or at least where I live, has clear bright sunshine.

billyhouston
Liked: 12 times
Been liked: 5 times

#5 Re: smog in pattaya

Postby billyhouston » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:03 pm

gerefan wrote:Nope... try going to Chang Mai at this time of year if you want to see real Thai/Burmese smog.

Not at this time of year. The view of Doi Suthep is clear while driving into town along Mahidol.

In two or two and a half months, it's a totally different matter.... sadly!

rocket
Liked: 15 times
Been liked: 12 times

#6 Re: smog in pattaya

Postby rocket » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:45 pm

I have an upper respiratory infection still, had it for a few weeks. I took amoxicillin for six days which cleared up an ear ache I also had. But after finishing the antibiotic I had the worst headache for about four days. Luckily I brought alka seltzer cold and cough Med with me with helped. I went to Dr Oliver who simply blamed my iPad. He gave me his usual vitamin c routine

I noticed the pollution was really bothering me. I would swear after one of those damn Chinese tour buses would blast by, noisy And smoky. The pollution seems very unhealthy now here in Pattaya, no way to avoid it unless you stay inside. I’m really noticing the noise and pollution this trip!

aussie
Liked: 108 times
Been liked: 41 times

#7 Re: smog in pattaya

Postby aussie » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:37 pm

There was three days of smog and definitely air pollution from an unknown source which fortunately has now cleared. I was quite ill for two days with upper respiratory problems.

dorayme
Been liked: 4 times

#8 Re: smog in pattaya

Postby dorayme » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:27 am

I think it is smog or worse. It blows into my condo, clogs the insect screens and settles on the floors leaving black deposits that must be mopped up daily.

fountainhall
Liked: 86 times
Been liked: 264 times

#9 Re: smog in pattaya

Postby fountainhall » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:58 am

Meantime in Bangkok we had a massive thunderstorm storm early this morning which seemed to last the better part of an hour. As I write it is still raining and is grey and miserable outside. What is wrong with the weather? In 17 years I have never known such an unpredictable 'winter' season.

Up2u
Liked: 201 times
Been liked: 73 times

#10 Re: smog in pattaya

Postby Up2u » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:16 am

Raining in Pattaya this morning. This haze is not unusual this time of year in Pattaya. Boys at beach say it is from agricultural burning. This rain will help clear the air.

Return to “Thailand”