Any TM30 update?

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton
Site Admin
Liked: 1 time
Been liked: 486 times

#21 Re: Any TM30 update?

Postby Gaybutton » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:34 pm

Dodger wrote:Could be wrong...but I don't believe there is a requirement for hotels to report anything to the immigration offices.

I'll put it this way - hotels are required to take down the information immigration requires. If and when anything actually gets reported to or collected by immigration, your guess is as good as mine.

Bottom line: If you're staying in a hotel, it's the hotel's responsibility, not yours.

PeterUK
Liked: 49 times
Been liked: 84 times

#22 Re: Any TM30 update?

Postby PeterUK » Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:03 pm

Are board members bothering to report to Immigration when returning from a trip abroad or just waiting for 90 days and then reporting? I'm due to return from a holiday in Australia tomorrow and am not sure whether to report immediately or not. I've certainly never done so in the past.

Gaybutton
Site Admin

#23 Re: Any TM30 update?

Postby Gaybutton » Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:22 pm

PeterUK wrote:Are board members bothering to report to Immigration when returning from a trip abroad or just waiting for 90 days and then reporting?

This is a "just in case" response if nobody else has a definitive answer. I have not been out of Thailand for nearly 6 years, so I really don't know.

Obviously the safest thing to do, no matter what anyone else tells you, is to report to immigration. I have not seen anything on this or any other boards that would suggest a serious necessity to do so, but if it is the law and you don't comply, then whatever happens next time you do go to immigration will be the same as it always seems to be - at the whim of the officer you're dealing with.

There is a discussion about this on ThaiVisa, but bear in mind that the most recent post was November of 2017 and most other posts were submitted in 2016: https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/94 ... f-arrival/

Speaking only for myself if it were me, I would report. For the 90-day address reports, in Pattaya I'm usually in and out of immigration in less than 5 minutes. I'd rather go through the inconvenience than have to spend the next 90 days worrying about what's going to happen next time I'm in immigration.

Bob
Been liked: 18 times

#24 Re: Any TM30 update?

Postby Bob » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:29 pm

It seems that every area of the country is treating the TM30 issue differently. Here in Chiangmai, one is required to have an original TM30 filed for one's address and then one is currently required to update only upon return to the country to that same address. They are not strictly enforcing the 24-hour rule here (officers have told me 4-5 days after returning is fine and I've actually exceeded the 24-hour time period several times without any issue or comment).

Although I've read Pattaya Immigration is one of the places that the TM30 rules are starting to be enforced, I have no actual clue as to what's really happening there. Presuming, Peter, that you have the original TM30 Receipt of Notification on hand (hopefully stapled in your passport), you can't go wrong by stopping by at the Pattaya office within a few days of return and ask them if you need to update (if so, it ought to take no more than 5-10 minutes). Up here, they are fining people 1,600 baht for any violations but it seems that they're only making a point of doing that when somebody is asking for an extension of any kind.

Up2u
Liked: 208 times
Been liked: 74 times

#25 Re: Any TM30 update?

Postby Up2u » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:29 am

I have been out of country twice most recently and have not done TM30 reporting, but have renewed my extension to stay for retirement and did 90 day reporting both at Pattaya Immigration. No problems, however I did return directly to my home residence as shown on my arrival card, TM6 (I took a picture); and not to a hotel which would have reported that address to Immigration. The fine is only 1000 baht and I personally wouldn't worry about it.

Gaybutton
Site Admin

#26 Re: Any TM30 update?

Postby Gaybutton » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:44 am

Up2u wrote:The fine is only 1000 baht

You didn't make it clear. Did you have to pay the fine?

2lz2p
Liked: 52 times
Been liked: 38 times

#27 Re: Any TM30 update?

Postby 2lz2p » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:00 pm

Apparently, after several months of folks being told different things by different Immigration Officers, it appears that Jomtien Immigration is now following a consistent policy at it relates to Expats on retirement extensions that take a trip out of Thailand and then return to their previously reported address - and that is, NO, you do not have to do a TM.30 when you return - just continue with your 90 day reporting - the Pattaya City Expats Club has now updated their Immigration section on Address Reporting - http://www.pattayacityexpatsclub.com/expats/docs/Rentry_Address.pdf - to show the following:

Initially, Chonburi Immigration was requiring a report if you are living in Thailand on long stay extension, leave Thailand temporarily, and return to the same address. However, it appears that as of April 2018, they no longer require such reporting by Expats living here so long as you return to your previous residence. Such Expats only need to do their 90 day address reporting if required (see above).
CAUTION – If you have foreigners as guests in your house for one or more nights, you are required to file the TM.30 report within 24 hours (or next business day after their arrival). The fine for not reporting is usually 1,600 baht, but can be more.
NOTE – Foreigners entering Thailand on Visa Exempt status (30 day permission to stay) or a Tourist Visa (60 day permission to stay) can extend their permitted stay by 30 days at Thai Immigration. If they do so at Chonburi (Pattaya) Immigration, they will first be directed to Desk 10 (processes the Form TM.30) for clearance before 30 day extension Desk will process their application for extension. If the house-master, owner, or possessor has not filed the TM.30 form, the Immigration Officers at Desk 10 will not clear you to apply for the extension until it has been done – if the person required to file the form refuse to come to Immigration to do it, Chonburi (Pattaya) Immigration will usually allow the foreigner to complete the report and pay the appropriate fine, thus allowing them to complete the extension process.

Previously, they were covering the TM.30 requirements in their announcements on Immigration linked from their Newsletter (latest information not included in their website pages on Immigration matters), which stated:
We have now had many recent reports in March and April 2018 that Immigration on Jomtien Soi 5 is consistently telling retirees returning to the same address that they DO NOT have to file a TM.30 report; just their next 90 day address report (due 90 days from date of return to Thailand).
However, we have also received recent reports that if you entered Thailand as Visa Exempt (30 day permission to stay) or on a Tourist Visa (60 day permission to stay) AND you go to Immigration for a 30 day extension of your stay, expect to be required to clear the Desk 10

Up2u
Liked: 208 times
Been liked: 74 times

#28 Re: Any TM30 update?

Postby Up2u » Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:55 pm

Gaybutton wrote:
Up2u wrote:The fine is only 1000 baht

You didn't make it clear. Did you have to pay the fine?

No....I was never challenged.

fountainhall
Liked: 114 times
Been liked: 306 times

#29 Re: Any TM30 update?

Postby fountainhall » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:03 pm

I have been out from BKK and returned twice and had my retirement visa renewed at Chaengwattana in between. I have never bothered with a TM 30 form and no-one has ever asked me for one. I leave again on Thursday. If there is any change I will post it the same day.

Gaybutton
Site Admin

#30 Re: Any TM30 update?

Postby Gaybutton » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:53 pm

To clarify this, based on what I'm reading on this topic, when a farang with a retirement visa returns from a trip out of the country, back to Thailand, if he is returning to his permanent address - which I imagine in most cases would be the address listed on the previous address report - then it's still the same as it's always been. You can wait 90 days before submitting your next TM-30 address report.

If you are going anywhere other than that, you're supposed to submit a new address report within 24 hours.

If you're staying in a hotel, you don't have to go to immigration. The registration information you fill out is all that is necessary.

Do I have it correct?

Return to “Thailand”