Be Careful at the bank

Anything and everything about Thailand
gerefan

Re: Be Careful at the bank

Post by gerefan »

What I meant was ...ALL of which so not need a signature to use!
jimnbkk
Location: Usually Arlington, VA when I cannot be in Thailand.

Post by jimnbkk »

The banks here are all crazy. I opened my SCB account in 2005 (I think). I got a new passport in 2015. The bank still uses my mailing address at Yensabai Condo. I haven't stayed there for many years. So. I tried to go into the SCB at Tuk Com and update the info. No luck. They wanted my old passport/number. I didn't have. I had opened the account in Jomtien and they said I would have to go there to make the changes. So I said the heck with it. Maybe on my next trip I'll bring the old passport and make the effort again to change. They make things so difficult.
thewayhelooks

Post by thewayhelooks »

When I opened my account at the Yellow Bank six years ago, I had a cute gay boy who spoke good English who was a great help with the paperwork. Each time I would visit, I would teasingly flirt with him, reducing him and the girls either side of him to a fit of the giggles. Then there was a staff change and all of them went elsewhere to be replaced by unhelpful grumpies who barely understood what a letter for Immigration stating my bank balance was. Needless to say, I avoid the place until it's time for my visa renewal. It's just not fun anymore.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Incidentally have Thai banks been asking anyone for documentation to comply with FATCA legislation? (Maybe Fatwa might be more appropriate given the reach of the US tax system).

I had to fill in a form for a bank account in another ASEAN country, including where I was tax resident.
mahjongguy

Post by mahjongguy »

USA citizens must fill in and sign an IRS W-9 form. So, be sure you know your SS number when you go to open an account, or get a new bankbook or ATM card.
RichLB

Post by RichLB »

mahjongguy wrote:USA citizens must fill in and sign an IRS W-9 form. So, be sure you know your SS number when you go to open an account, or get a new bankbook or ATM card.
Are you sure about that? I've never been asked to do that or is that a form I have to get from the IRS?
mahjongguy

Post by mahjongguy »

My local branch of Bangkok Bank provided the blank W-9 form. Just entered my SS number and signed it. It took one minute and was trivial compared to all the other paperwork required to open my third account there. That's in their system now so I doubt I'll be asked again.
Bob

Post by Bob »

RichLB wrote:
mahjongguy wrote:USA citizens must fill in and sign an IRS W-9 form. So, be sure you know your SS number when you go to open an account, or get a new bankbook or ATM card.
Are you sure about that? I've never been asked to do that or is that a form I have to get from the IRS?
The banks supply the form and it's easy to fill out (so long as you know your name, address, and SSN). This all started a couple of years ago when the various Thai banks starting signing agreements with US Treasury to provide information to the US Treasury regarding US citizen accounts, annual interest earned, etc. From reports I get from other western friends (Canadian and British, for example), the banks are making them sign the forms too....although they don't have to answer any additional questions if they answer the first question (Are you a US citizen?) in the negative.

As to what triggers the questionnaire, opening a new account (even by an existing customer) will do it although I've heard a few say that making any change (e.g., getting a new ATM card, "rolling over" an existing term account) triggered the questionnaire for them. In any event, it's no big deal or hassle.