Be Careful at the bank

Anything and everything about Thailand
RichLB

Be Careful at the bank

Post by RichLB »

Just a heads up... This morning the boyfriend and I went to my bank to open an additional account to house the new to arrive 800,000 baht immigration income requirement. I figured it would take about 10 minutes to do so since I already have an account at that bank. I was wrong - it took an hour and a half after sitting in front of the girl at the desk. I explained I wanted an additional account, handed over my passport, and my existing passbook. This resulted in her disappearing to xerox everything and handing me a sheaf of papers to sign. Ok, no problem with that, although somewhat redundant since the bank already had that information on file. So far half an hour in and my problems began. Just as I was about to collect my new passbook, this dour woman appeared and began to inspect all the paperwork. After several minutes she declared my various signatures did not match and asked me to resign everything. Shrugging, I did so. Again she scowled and said they still did not match and wanted to do it is again. I wasn't happy, but complied. She then examed each signature and declared they still did not match. I explained that she had my passport, my old passbook, a picture of me in the passport, she'd seen me sign the papers, and I was right in front of her. She was not impressed. This went on for eight times!! Having no choice, I again signed the paperwork, and she begrudgingly said ok, but told me it still was not a good match. Good grief. One and a half hours wasted.

The reason I issuing this warning is that my boyfriend had a similar problem. Several months ago, he went to his bank to withdraw some money. He signed the form and the bank told him his signature did not match the one on his passbook. He signed again and they still said there was no match. They refused to give him his money. He ended up going to a different branch and was able to make his withdrawal.

Bottom line, when you sign anything at the bank, do so carefully so you can replicate it.
gerefan

Re: Be Careful at the bank

Post by gerefan »

I went inside the K Bank because their passbook updating machine was kaput. Same as you an hour and a half later I left.
When they were updating the book she noticed my passport number had changed ( new paaport). So had my phone number (new sim card). Loads of forms and time wasted.
Sign this and that....she said signature not same. Resign.still no good. New book issued and new signature entered.
Then I wanted on line banking restarted. More forms. Copy taken of passport. 1 1/2 hours and 30mins waiting to be seen.
Two days later got text saying passport pic no good. Ignored it.
Three days later got new online banking password and number. Don’t work.
Got worried that they would block account so I have taken all money out.
Fuck em
K Bank Pattyaya Tai.
Jun

Post by Jun »

I'm screwed then. No consistency at all with signatures & a passport due to be renewed within 2 years. Better not lose that casebook.

One thing I have noticed is my ATM card expires in 2018, so I will be replacing it before the end of this trip.
aussie

Post by aussie »

I don't get all the paperwork required at K Bank.I waited an hour last week just to get served for a simple enquiry but there is no fast lane. The customer service ladies at Pattaya Tai do a great job under pressure but spend most of their time taking copies of documents and getting signatures.
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

RichLB wrote:Bottom line, when you sign anything at the bank, do so carefully so you can replicate it.
Which bank? Which branch?
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

aussie wrote:I don't get all the paperwork required at K Bank.
It isn't just K-Bank. They all do that.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Same at Krungsri Bank. A new passport needs to be shown and registered almost as soon as it is received. Same with new phone numbers. I have never been informed my signature does not match here, but I have with HSBC in Hong Kong. Many banks suggest you re-register signatures every 10 years or so since they do tend to develop small changes over time.
gerefan

Post by gerefan »

It’s absolutely archaic all this signature nonsense.
This is the 21 st century and we always have to show them Passports or ID if we go into a Thai Bank for anything. We have passwords, PIN numbers, electronic Debit Cards, Passbooks, Credit Card’s ALL of which do not need a signature....
gerefan

Post by gerefan »

Jun wrote:One thing I have noticed is my ATM card expires in 2018, so I will be replacing it before the end of this trip.
Ha! I tried that and they charged me about 300 baht because I wanted it reissued on a date other than that stamped on the card!
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

gerefan wrote:We have passwords, PIN numbers, electronic Debit Cards, Passbooks, Credit Card’s ALL of which do not need a signature....
I entirely agree with you. But for most of the above, a signature is required at some stage before we actually get them, including passbooks!