Police increase traffic enforcement around Pattaya - How long will it last?

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Police increase traffic enforcement around Pattaya - How long will it last?

Post by Gaybutton »

Police forced into action as death toll on Pattaya’s roads increases

December 9, 2017

After damning reports suggested that the death toll on the roads is still on the increase, police have been forced into action, in the way of camera guns.

The first signs were seen on the main Sukhumvit Road, not far from the entrance of the popular Nong Nooch Gardens.

Amazing, actually, not that amazingly, in less than 1 hour, police managed to catch a total of 37 motorists breaking the roads, either by speeding, not wearing a helmet etc.

The particular stretch of road where the first of the cameras had was set up is set to be a particular hot spot for accidents, with figures showing over 100 deaths in under 2 years.

The most recent involved a minivan crashing into a tree after the driver lost concentration. The accident finished up killing 5 and injuring a further 9 people.

What is amazing, is that it took all this time and even the unwanted honor of being named the country with the most dangerous roads in the world, for authorities to actually start to take some action.

The problem is, they have been playing with the idea of “taking action” for a number of years, but nothing seems to get followed through.

Police say that this time is different, however, and will be increasing the cameras in and around Pattaya gradually, leading up to Christmas and New Year, a particularly bad time for fatal road accidents.

Story and photo: http://pattayaone.news/en/police-forced ... increases/
gerefan

Re: Police increase traffic enforcement around Pattaya - How long will it last?

Post by gerefan »

The Thais have no respect what so ever for the Police. They will carry on as they do now. Even if they get caught.

The only people the Thais respect are the Army. Just watch them when the Army raid a venue such as Tom Nan Isaan. It was eye opening. Or the Morlam evenings when the Army secure the event. They literally cower.

Road blocks will only have an impact if manned by the military.

They KNOW the Army cannot be bought....

My one baht worth...
Captain Kirk

Post by Captain Kirk »

100 deaths in two years on one stretch of road? That is ridiculous.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Captain Kirk wrote:100 deaths in two years on one stretch of road? That is ridiculous.
Don't forget - 100 deaths does not necessarily mean 100 accidents. Unfortunately, many accidents result in multiple injuries and deaths.

In any case, if the police are out there, especially in the main danger spots, actually enforcing traffic laws for a change, I'm all for it and I hope it lasts.

I'm not holding my breath. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm expecting people will once again very soon be driving as if they're trying to commit suicide, and take as many others with them as they can - if they're not already right back to driving that way.