Malaysia Hotel Bangkok

Anything and everything about Thailand
richsilver

Malaysia Hotel Bangkok

Post by richsilver »

This is a very interesting article about the hotel: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/life/arts ... sia-hotel/.
Gaybutton

Re: Malaysia Hotel Bangkok

Post by Gaybutton »

Thank you Richsilver. Quite a bit there I never knew.

And the hotel is still comparatively inexpensive. High season rate in effect now - 950 baht for a standard room.

The hotel has undergone a lot of renovation lately. Most, if not all, is finished by now.

A very gay friendly hotel. There is no charge for a "guest" - at least a short time guest. I never have boys stay overnight, so I don't know if they charge if the boy stays overnight. The boy has to leave his ID card at the front desk (they do check the age and they make sure the ID is actually his). He doesn't get it back until you give the "all clear."

See: http://www.malaysiahotelbkk.com
mahjongguy

Post by mahjongguy »

I never stayed there but I remember back in the day my friends called it the place with the "suspiciously sticky carpets". :P
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

mahjongguy wrote:my friends called it the place with the "suspiciously sticky carpets".
That's interesting because I've stayed there a great many times over many years. I'm usually there at least once every other month, if not more often. The rooms do not, and as long as I've stayed there, never did have carpets. It's tile floors.

The only complaint I have is I can never get the shower water hot enough for me. The best I ever get is lukewarm.

The maid staff is very attentive, very competent, very honest, and very thorough.

If you're looking for luxury, top-of-the-line accommodations, the Malaysia is the wrong hotel. But if you're looking for a good, basic room at a very reasonable price, the Malaysia ought to suit just fine. The rooms all have flat screen TV with cable, air conditioning, a room refrigerator, and decent beds. If you're looking for much more than that, you'll have to pay the price for it at another hotel.
mahjongguy

Post by mahjongguy »

My friends loved staying there. They weren't commenting on the maid staff nor on the quality of the furnishings, they were just being lewd about the abundance of sexual activity.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

mahjongguy wrote:they were just being lewd about the abundance of sexual activity.
You should have said that in the first place. It didn't come across as apparently you meant it.
jason105

Post by jason105 »

During my stays there I found it comfortable but by no means fancy.
A big plus was how affordable it was.
The first visits, about 8 or 9 years ago, were even more entertaining because of all the "boys" hanging out in the restaurant and in front of the hotel.
I also found the huge koi fish in the small pond in front to be fascinating to watch.
Then I moved down the soi to the Pinnacle which is another story for another day.
All the best
ก้นconnoisseur

Post by ก้นconnoisseur »

richsilver wrote:
This is a very interesting article about the hotel: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/life/arts ... sia-hotel/.
Thanks to Richsilver for posting that article.

I’ve always wanted to know a bit more of the history of the hotel. I had heard that it was a base for GI’s during the Vietnam war and flourished then.

On the recommendation of a friend in the travel business I first stayed there in the early 2000’s. At that time it was still a bustling gay hotel, practically an extension of Babylon and one could just as easily hookup at the Malaysia from someone visiting Babylong as at the Sauna itself. And yes, everytime the cab delivered me to the front door there were freelancers outside looking for business.

The last few times I stayed there a couple of years ago the flavor had distinctively changed with lots of Chinese tour groups in the lobby. The rooms have stayed almost the same over the years – basic college dorm style. But always clean, comfortable and usually pretty quiet. The staff were always nice no matter when I stayed there.

The hotel card in the article gave me a good laugh – 120 baht a night (later 60 according to the article), plus free transport to the airport! When I first stayed there you could get in at around 800 baht and I think now it’s closer to 1,000. Still a good deal for what you get in that area in Bangkok. And the pool and 24/7 restaurant are pluses.

I rarely stay in Bangkok these days, but when I do I try to book at the Malaysia, if just for the nostalgia. I have many fond memories of my early travel days in Thailand staying there.
pong

Post by pong »

The period after the GI's left and before the gays came in, was featured in the well-known LP=Lonely Planet travel guides=about the time when backpackers started coming to TH. And that explains the then low prices: to attract them. Long before even that maligned KhaoSarn rd opened.
Its major fame now is that christianpfc lives around the corner.
A still fairly new IBIS has opened just across the narrow traffic-clogged soi.
The MBs have been replaced by at least 2 eager to please m2m massageshops in the soi coming from the main rd.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

The soi is Ngam Duplii and it certainly does get clogged with traffic several times a day. Probably easier to get the MRT to Lumpini station, take Exit 1 and then walk. The massage shops are quite close to each other and both often have some of the boys sitting outside. Both are on the left side as you progress down from Rama IV to the Malaysia/Ibis hotels. One is Magic Hands which seems to get generally good reviews. I'll try and check the name of the other. I am sure christianpfc must have posted something about it on his blog.