Thai ID card replacement

Anything and everything about Thailand
Maple

Thai ID card replacement

Post by Maple »

Is there a government office in Pattaya where a Thai national can replace their lost Thailand ID card instead of having to return to their home province? Is a police report required?
Gaybutton

Re: Thai ID card replacement

Post by Gaybutton »

I believe it can be done at the Pattaya Police Station on Pattaya Beach Road. I know one Thai friend replaced his there, although I don't remember whether this is his home province.

As far as I know a police report was not required, although I have no idea what, if anything, was required for him to prove who he is.
mahjongguy

Post by mahjongguy »

Per my Thai sources, in Pattaya ID cards can only be replaced at City Hall. It requires a copy of the tambien baan in which they are registered.

Getting a police report from the nearest cop shop is very strongly advised (to protect against identity theft) but is not required by City Hall.
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

My bf replaced his at City Hall.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

You gents are correct about City Hall. Now that you posted, I realize I remembered it wrong. Yes, it was City Hall, not the police station.
Bangkokian

Post by Bangkokian »

Much easier in Bangkok.
My local Skytrain station has a 'one stop shop'for such things.
My friend replaced his in minutes there and I think for free.
Is there nothing similar in Pattaya?
Sorry, as an edit, he corrected me and it was not a replacement -- it was to renew an expired one. No charge and no documents required except the old one.
mahjongguy

Post by mahjongguy »

"My local Skytrain station has a 'one stop shop'for such things... My friend replaced his in minutes there
and I think for free. Is there nothing similar in Pattaya?"

No one-stop shop here but most matters can be handled at City Hall, and (happily) there is a Thai Passport office at The Avenue.
Captain Swing

Post by Captain Swing »

This isn't really off the subject, but something of a tangent; sorry if it's inappropriate here. On a previous visit I was reacquainted with a Thai guy I had met years earlier. He filled me in on what he'd been up to in the interim. He volunteered that he'd spent time in the "Monkey House" for selling drugs. He said that as a result he couldn't get a real job because he had no ID card. Is that true, that someone convicted of a crime loses his ID and can't get a new one? It seems to me that would be a self-defeating policy, encouraging released prisoners to return to their criminal ways since they would be unable to get a legit job. This particular young man had been sufficiently scared by his time in jail that he was resolved never to return, but he couldn't find anything better to do than hang out in Jomtien, "open to offers." Or so he said. There was no question of nationality: he was born in Thailand and a lifelong Thai subject. He'd even been in the Navy. He freely admitted that he was guilty of the crime he was charged with, but is it true that as a result he'll never be able to get an ID that would enable him to find a legal job?
mahjongguy

Post by mahjongguy »

It may be true that he has no ID card at this time but there's no law or regulation stopping him from getting one. Quite the opposite: all Thai people are required to carry their ID card at all times.

My interpretation of his story is that there is some personal reason why he won't get a replacement. Maybe he can't deal with involving his family in providing a copy of the tambien baan.

Or maybe he's just saying that he can't get a decent job because his national ID now has a link to his drug conviction.

[It's just been pointed out to me that maybe he "can't" get a replacement ID because there are open warrants for him]
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Mahjongguy is correct. Convicted of a crime or not, he must have an ID card. Thailand does not prohibit convicted criminals from obtaining an ID card. Whatever excuse the boy is giving you, it sounds like a load of BS to me and I wouldn't trust it.

There are plenty of available boys. For me, what he is telling you would be a major "red light." If I were you, I'd find another boy - quick.