River Kwai Bridge Week and Kanchanaburi Red Cross Fair 2017

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

November 10, 2017

History buffs shouldn't miss the annual River Kwai Bridge Week in Kanchanaburi this month

The River Kwai Bridge Week and Kanchanaburi Red Cross Fair 2017 is being organized from 24 November to 6 December at the River Kwai Bridge and Klip Bua Stadium in Mueang district, Kanchanaburi.

The annual River Kwai Bridge Week is organised with an aim of promoting tourism and creating greater awareness of Kanchanaburi as a destination for both domestic and international tourists.

The highlight is the light-and-sound show that tells the stories of the World War II in honour of the prisoners of war who built the infamous Death Railway, the Bridge on the River Kwai and the Hellfire Pass. This year the show will present the story on the construction of the Death Railway.

The light-and-sound show is scheduled twice a day on 24 – 25 November and 1 – 2 December, at 19.00 Hrs. and 20.30 Hrs. On 26-30 November and 3-6 December, there will one show a day at 20.00 Hrs.

A total of 1,200 seats per show are available at a price of 300 Baht per seat. Tickets can be purchased before the show or in advance at the Kanchanaburi Provincial Hall, Tel: +66 (0) 3451 1778, 3451 5208 and 3451 2399.

The event will be held in conjunction with the Kanchanaburi Red Cross Fair 2017, offering some great shopping opportunities for local products, along with a range of entertainments, such as exhibitions from governmental organisations and educational institutions, a mini motor show, concert and cultural performances.

While in Kanchanaburi, visitors can also visit other well-known attractions including Srinakharin Dam, Vajiralongkorn Dam, Sai Yok Noi and Yai Waterfalls, Erawan Waterfall, Mon Bridge, Mueang Sing Historical Park, Three Pagodas Pass, Wat Wang Wiwekaram, Underwater City, The Bridge of the River Kwai, Kanchanaburi War Cemetery, and World War II Museum and Art Gallery More details are available at http://www.tourismthailand.org, look for Kanchanaburi.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/ ... g/30330716
Trongpai

Re: River Kwai Bridge Week and Kanchanaburi Red Cross Fair 2017

Post by Trongpai »

While in Kanchanaburi, visitors can also visit other well-known attractions including Srinakharin Dam, Vajiralongkorn Dam, Sai Yok Noi and Yai Waterfalls, Erawan Waterfall, Mon Bridge, Mueang Sing Historical Park, Three Pagodas Pass, Wat Wang Wiwekaram, Underwater City, The Bridge of the River Kwai, Kanchanaburi War Cemetery, and World War II Museum and Art Gallery
That's curious they skipped the only "historic" site that is not packaged by the Tourism Authority of Thailand: Amazing Thailand, Hellfire Pass and the Hellfire Pass Museum. I have been several times over the years. I was told one of the Australian guides at the museum they don't attract the packaged tourists because they don't or can't pay kick backs to tour operators.

It's the the most accurate historical site about the death railroad. It's out of the way and on route to Three Pagodas Pass. I don't know about public transport, I've never noticed anything convenient. I first went there by private tour and had to really insist. Subsequent trips to the area has been by self driving.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hellfire_Pass

The Museum across from the main cemetery, I guess that's what the article is calling the World War II Museum has had several remakes over the years. The current version is much better and is approaching historical reality.

If you've never been to Erawan Falls you really owe it to yourself to go. In recent years it's been a victim of it's own popularity and is best avoided on weekends, especially extended Holiday weekends. Also, in years past it was quite a hike from the parking lot, there are 7 levels of waterfalls. Now, there's a shuttle car that takes you as far as level 3. Unfortunately, level 4 to 6 are still a hike but if you're fit it's worth the effort as these levels are less visited and very scenic. The path way has also been improved over the years.

The train ride to Sai Yok is very popular and requires advance booking. I've done it once a long time ago and never felt the urge to do it again.

I don't know what this " light-and-sound show" is going to be but I bet when they say sound they mean something loud. Kanchanaburi has over the years been somewhat a destination for young Thai looking to party to loud music. There was even a "disco boat" that blasted music along the river until tourists began complaining. The party scene has since moved a bit out of town but remains popular.

The surrounding area has some incredible scenery. Chinese tour groups seem only to be taken to the sites packaged for them in town. So if you get out of town it's a nice destination of both natural beauty and historical interests.