Flying out of Don Mueang? Allow an EXTRA 3 Hours to get There!

Anything and everything about Thailand
fountainhall

Flying out of Don Mueang? Allow an EXTRA 3 Hours to get There!

Post by fountainhall »

After a short trial period last August to assess the impact on traffic, the bridge linking the Vibhavadi Rangsit road to Don Mueang airport is now closed. The bridge is to be demolished and replaced with a new one due to open next September (hopefully)! During the renovation period, the road itself will close for six hours nightly between 10:00pm and 4:00 am.

A key problem resulting from the demolition of the bridge is the affect it will have on traffic seeking to enter the Don Mueang airport area. There will still be three other ways to enter the airport area but heavy congestion is expected at all times. The President of the Airports of Thailand and the Immigration Bureau are suggesting (seriously!) that all passengers allow an additional three hours over and above the normal travel time to get to the airport.

I expect traffic to the airport at some times on some days will be better than others. Which, though, I haven't the faintest idea!
Travellers using Don Mueang have been advised to spare additional time to go to the airport due to the construction of the bridge linking the compound. Immigration Bureau spokesman Pol Col Cherngron Rimphadeeon Tuesday advised travellers to allow more time than usual, or around three hours, to get to the airport.

The advisory came after traffic congestion on Vibhavadi Rangsit Road outside Don Mueang since the closure of the bridge on Monday for renovation. The bridge will be demolished and a new one will be built in a nearby location to end the traffic bottleneck on the area.

The new bridge will be opened to motorists in September next year.
https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/genera ... congestion
thaiworthy

Re: Flying out of Don Mueang? Allow an EXTRA 3 Hours to get There!

Post by thaiworthy »

I hate Don Mueang. Overcrowded and hectic. I had to use the free shuttle between there and Swampy. The driver took off with my luggage on board. Never again.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

For those making international/domestic connections between Suvarnabhumi and Don Mueang, I expect the advice to take several extra hours also applies. Anyone considering bookings or who has already made flight bookings should definitely check with their airlines.

As far as I am aware, there is no similar problem with travelling from Don Mueang.
odd

Post by odd »

But they do state that you can access the Airport from the tollway.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Yes, indeed. I admit I have only been able to post what I have read. That states that despite the fact that there are other access roads, there will be general traffic chaos. I suspect that many more vehicles will now use the tollway to get to the airport and this will cause its own problems. If the authorities believed there would be less congestion from the tollway entry, I would have thought (hoped?) they might have mentioned it would take less time. But then, TIT! I hope someone who has made that trip will post about their experience.

I recall some years ago trying to get there by the tollway 2 nights before Songkran when I left home an hour earlier than usual. Traffic was a breeze until about two thirds of the way to Don Mueang. It then slowed to a crawl and hardly moved at all for the next 90 minutes. The circular access road off the tollway was totally blocked moving just a few inches per minute. I finally paid off my taxi, grabbed my case and ran the rest of the way to make sure I did not miss my flight. How this compares to the present situation, I have no idea.

I will keep monitoring the news media for any further information.
aussie

Post by aussie »

There is a train from Hua Lamphong station that stops near Don Muang airport. Schedules would need research but it is a possibility to avoid the traffic jam.

Last time i arrived at Don Muang i went through immigration in 20 minutes, much better than the previous one hour wait, luggage was picked up quickly and then i waited 45 minutes in the taxi queue. I will avoid this airport in favour of Suvarnabuhmi or Pattaya Utapao airport as much as possible even after the bridge is finished .
Jun

Post by Jun »

aussie wrote: I will avoid this airport in favour of Suvarnabuhmi or Pattaya Utapao airport as much as possible even after the bridge is finished .
Recently I almost made the mistake of booking a KL==>DMK flight, then decided to check Utapao and there's a nice afternoon flight that will get me to Pattaya in plenty of time for an evening out.

Utapao has various domestic destinations, plus KL & a couple in China & Russia which would be of little interest to most members.

So checking Utapao can be a good idea.
colmx

Post by colmx »

Jun wrote:
So checking Utapao can be a good idea.
Agreed! We are planning a Chiang Mai trip in January and will definitely fly from U-tapao - or Pattaya/Rayong as they have now re-branded it (in Ryanair type style!)

It took us 1.5 hours to get from Morchit to Don Muang in Late September... and then 3.5 hours from DMK to Pattaya on our return...

DMK is officially on my "no fly list" !
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

aussie wrote:T. . . and then i waited 45 minutes in the taxi queue
I am fortunate at DMK Immigration as I have an APEC Business Travel Card which gets me into a priority lane. My bugbear is the always huge taxi queue. I have experienced an average of over 30 minutes waiting and the queues always move so slowly. I have tried going up to the arrivals area. For whatever reason, taxis seem much more reluctant to pick up there after dropping passengers off.

Last Sunday I came back from Taipei into BKK at 6:00 pm and was surprised to see a long taxi queue. Usually it is pretty short. But the queue moved quickly and the wait was less than ten minutes.

Hua Lamphong train to/from Don Mueang

This site has what seems to be an up to date timetable. Trains seem to take around either 40 or 50 minutes. The station at DMK involves quite a hike up and over the expressway. I'd not like to do it with heavy luggage.

https://railtravelstation.com/2017/09/0 ... -by-train/
Jun

Post by Jun »

Here's the official Thai railways site. Just select Bangkok and Don Muang to get the full timetable.

http://www.railway.co.th/checktime/chec ... nguage=Eng

Although I've used that line before, next month will be the first time I use it to get to DMK airport.
With my lightweight luggage, the overbridge doesn't worry me at all & I've used a bridge when arriving at DMK by bus in recent years.