Backgammon at the Beach

Anything and everything about Thailand
fountainhall

Re: Backgammon at the Beach

Post by fountainhall »

Another great story beautifully told! Thank you. As one who used to be an avid player of backgammon, I have always been surprised that over the years I have never once seen anyone play the game here in Thailand. But then I am rarely in Pattaya and no doubt I had other concerns on those occasions. None of my friends have an interest in the game, alas. I once passed Smythson of Bond Street's shop at Heathrow and drooled at their light blue leather-encased backgammon board. At around £3,000 the drooling quickly stopped!
Doug

Post by Doug »

I had become infatuated with a doorman at the long-gone Jim,Jimmy,James Gogo Bar in Sunee. I would spend my evenings enjoying the patio there. Without consulting me this doorman moved to become a waiter at Duc's Bar & Coffeeshop & bookstore & video rental & conversation pit. Naturally I followed this handsome lad and became a happy regular at Duc's
Duc also had a backgammon board and we would play most evenings. The handsome waiter became interested in the game, especially when he saw money being exchanged. It didn't take him long before he was regularly earning baht with his skillful play. Both he and I were vocal, animated players slapping the discs down with gusto. So much so that the other austere customers request we move to the back of the bar.
Four years ago I packed up my apartment and left Thailand but the handsome waiter became the owner of my backgammon board.
I miss the games, the waiter Sunee's atmosphere and my wonderful friend, Duc. (RIP)
Doug

Post by Doug »

Yes....believe it or not....that really is Duc at Jomtien Beach. I feel honoured that he closed up the bar to accept my Loy Krathong Party invitation.