Classic Boys Bangkok Closing

Anything and everything about Thailand
Trongpai

Classic Boys Bangkok Closing

Post by Trongpai »

I have received several reports that Classic Boys on Soi Twilight is packing it in. All the bars are closed on soi Twilight tonight but Classic will not reopen. I was told it was due to a lack of customers. It was just not making a profit.

I assume the staff will mostly be absorbed by the remaining bars on Twilight. The staff were told last night to look for a new job.

I don't know the exact year Classic opened. Around the late 90's? There was a Pattaya branch as well. The ownership has changed over the years but the style has pretty much remained consistence. I find this news sad.

Of course, like any information about the bar scene things can change. Someone with deep pockets could come along and reopen Classic. It could get a make over or just remain vacant. Time will tell.

What bar is next? My guess would be X-Size. The owner recently died. It's now being run my the widowed wife.

The German owner of Dream Boys/Boys Bangkok told his staff that he's closing in 2 years. He said he will not sell it to a new owner. He's retiring and leaving the business.
Oliver

Re: Classic Boys Bangkok Closing

Post by Oliver »

I was in Soi Twilight a couple of weeks ago and found it pretty dispiriting- as has often been remarked on this forum. I sat in Dick's, opposite Dream Boys, a bar which I took to be very popular with Chinese tourists. In the hour I was there (2030 until 2130) barely a punter climbed the stairs.
Classic was not well-positioned, even in more fruitful times. Causal, inexperienced visitors needed to run the gauntlet of six or seven similar go go bars to get that far since nearly everyone enters from Surawong.
There seemed to be more activity in the host bars.... but now I am straying into issues that have only recently been discussed at length.
Trongpai

Post by Trongpai »

Oliver wrote:... I sat in Dick's, opposite Dream Boys, a bar which I took to be very popular with Chinese tourists. In the hour I was there (2030 until 2130) barely a punter climbed the stairs..
Well, yes because Dream Boys does not open until 2130. Show time is 2230. There is a sign on the door. The Asian tourists arrive in groups just before show time or a little after. They mostly arrive in taxis that deposit them at the entrance to soi Twilight at Suriwong. Most of them march straight to Dream Boys, put out their cigarettes at the door and walk up the steps. It is still popular with Asian tourists. Some nights are 100% Asian.

A few stray Asians might wonder into one of the other bars but not in any significant numbers. HotMale now has changed show times to three shows, 2130, 2200, and 2300 but don't expect promptness. That seems to hook some of the strays who came too early or late. Also attracts those who can not refrain from smoking for a few hours.

Fresh boys also has experimented with different show times to compete with Dream Boys.

Second shows now days are not guaranteed. If the bar is empty they close early.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Some years ago there was a fire above Classic. As a result the bar had to close for a few weeks and some of the boys ended up in other bars during that time. Thereafter I heard that the bar had been bought/taken over by either the BIB or someone in the army. Not that this would have any influence in the decision to close. But since around then, the bar has increasingly developed a reputation for very pushy mamasans who have put a lot of punters off. Classic used to be a fun bar with a niche for cute twinks. It will be a pity to see it disappear.
Jun

Post by Jun »

The mamasans were dreadful & detered both customers and boys.
Getting rid of them was a really difficult job & even when you think that has been done, they would often sit one row in front & watch you to try & figure out which boy you were watching.

On my last visit, the cute twink selection was quite poor, so I left without offing anyone. I offed a boy from another bar & he told me he had been working in Classic Boys, but when he returned after a 2 week holiday, the evil mamasans tried to sting him for 2500 baht, so of course he just moved to another bar. I congratulated him on making a fine decision.

So now it is closing, I hope the evil mamasans sod off and do something else for a living & hope that no other bar owner gives them a chance to ruin his business.

Overall it's sad, as Classic Boys always used to have a fine selection of twinks. On some trips, it was the best selection in either Bangkok or Pattaya. It was the first Thai gogo bar I visited & it felt like I had entered paradise, with such a fine selection of slim boys on the stage in white undies & low prices at around 70 baht to the pound.

And here is the first off
Trongpai

Post by Trongpai »

Jun wrote:The mamasans were dreadful & detered both customers and boys....
I hope the evil mamasans sod off and do something else for a living & hope that no other bar owner gives them a chance to ruin his business.
I agree and there were three in particular that were horrible and three that were relatively innocuous. I could never figure out why they needed 6 mamasans.

About a month ago the head evil mamasan moved over to Hotmale. He had been with Classic since they opened. At Hotmale the owner does not want aggressive mamasans so he's now subdued, somewhat.

The other two had been fired from other bars on the soi and I would be surprised to see them show up at another bar.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Trongpai wrote:I could never figure out why they needed 6 mamasans.
As far as I'm concerned, a bar that has any mamasans is a bar I won't even go to. What on earth do they need them for?
bobsaigon3

Post by bobsaigon3 »

Just got an email from a friend who works in Soi Twilight. He says Classic is still open, not closed. (?)
gerefan

Post by gerefan »

As indicated above the place is history. Last few years has been ruined by the fucking mamasans. Let that be a lesson to other gogo bars both in BKK and Pattaya.

However I doubt they will learn the lesson.

In its present format it is no great loss ( if it has closed).
Bangkokian

Post by Bangkokian »

Trongpai wrote:
Jun wrote:The mamasans were dreadful & detered both customers and boys....
I hope the evil mamasans sod off and do something else for a living & hope that no other bar owner gives them a chance to ruin his business.
About a month ago the head evil mamasan moved over to Hotmale. He had been with Classic since they opened.
Yes, he came from the Pattaya 'branch'.
There was a nice waiter who seemed to think he was an air stewardess.